General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A4 2007 FSI Turbo Quattro, noise from suspension when turning right.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Audi A4 2007 FSI Turbo Quattro, noise from suspension when turning right.

I currently own a 2007 A4 quattro FSI turbo. It has been running great but recently I have been hearing a knocking noise from the steering when turning right at roundabouts. You can also feel it through the steering wheel, I have had a mechanic look at it but he was unable to find anything. Has anyone experience anything similar and what was it??

Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

Knocking when turning that can be felt through the steering wheel is a front outer CV joint going bad. You cannot "find" anything because it cannot be seen since it's all covered up with rubber boot seal unless it's ripped open. If it's ripped open, water and dirt is getting into the joint and contaminating the grease with grit. This will wear one out and make it knock as each of the 6 big ball bearings briefly seize up in the groove they ride in. A rookie mechanic should have been able to determine that from the description you gave without even looking at the car.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your response. My noise is a single clunk, is a cv joint not a continual knocking whilst turning?
I will have it checked out by someone else.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:00 PM
2nd Gear

A single clunk is probably more like a ball joint, tie rod end, or other suspension bushing going bad. A ball joint would be my first suspect in that case. Jack the car up and get the front wheel just off the ground to where you can slip a large pry bar under the tire as to lift the front wheel even further off the ground. If you notice any movement in the wheel (up and down) it could be a bad ball joint. The best way is to have a friend pry up on the tire and you put your head down under the car to look and see if you can see the ball joint moving up and down. There should be NO up and down movement. Also check for any loose bolts on the control arms or tie rod ends.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again I will give it a try.