General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Audi A4 - Maintenance questions from a new owner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Default Audi A4 - Maintenance questions from a new owner!

Hi guys,

I've recently become a proud new owner of a 2008 Audi A4.

This is, by a very large margin, the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. I want to make absolute sure that I take good care of it, so I just had a couple questions.

How do you guys address the standard maintenance issues that arise? For example: Recently my tire pressure warning light appeared on my dash. Is this an issue solved by simply taking my Audi to the nearest tire place? Or is this vehicle temperamental enough that it requires I take it to an Audi dealer to fix these issues?

Another example: Eventually, this car is going to need oil. Is the dash going to notify me of this as well? And, if(when?) it does, do I take it to any old maintenance shop down the street or should it really be taken to an Audi dealer?

So I guess my overall question is: How do you guys deal with the day-to-day maintenance of your Audi?

Thanks so much in advance. I realize these are probably highly embarrassing dumb questions, but as said before, this is the first high-end vehicle I've owned.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by eobryan; 08-23-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM

The tire warning light just means the pressure is off on one or more of the tires by >5PSI. All you need to do is take it to a gas station with an air pump and pressure gage (unless you have your own) and check/fill the tires to the recomended PSI (can be found on the inside of the driver's side door on a sticker). Once the tires are at the propper level, it will shut off.

As far as the oil goes, a light will come on when it's due for servicing. There is a little wrench button on the right side of the dash by the steering wheel. If you push that, it will tell you what percent your oil is at, and how many miles are left before your next oil change is due. You can take it anywhere to get the oil change, but I would recomend the Audi dealership or a European car service center to get the best for your car. They will put in the recomended oil, filter and do it right. Just my opinion and recomendation. it will also help if any waranty issues should arrise (like the VERY common cabon build up issues) if you have the maintanance done on a routine basis and it is propperly logged.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:14 PM

That was the exact reply that I was hoping for. I really appreciate it. Thanks.