General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bleeding the clutch - what is so special?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 PM
2nd Gear
Default Bleeding the clutch - what is so special?

I had my mechanic install a new clutch on our 1998 Audi A4 1.8t quattro(some idiot at the privous repair place installed the main rear bearing wrong and had the sealing lip wrong, leaking oil into the brand new, Audi OEM clutch).

We put in a Southbend stage 3. Now my shop has spent the last 3 days drying to bleed the clutch. They have tried everything, even ordered a new "pressure bleed" machine, talked to the local Audi shop, etc.

What is so special about bleeding the clutch system?

Does someone have a detailed procedure to follow that I could provide for my mechanic?

Volker

Old 03-25-2009, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear

I am not experienced in bleeding the clutch, but I presume it is like any other hydraulic system. There is a bleeder valve, and you press the clutch pedal in to remove the air. Dont forget to top off while bleeding the fluid. But, you never know how these German cars work. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear

bleeding a system is pretty much trying to get what is unwanted out of the system.. in most cases it is air.. bleed the brakes to remove air from the system.. because air can be compressed and so there is a loss in brake quality.. same with a clutch system that uses the same fluid as does a brake system.. must get all the air out of the system so that you have a solid pedal.. if you have air in the system the pedal will not be solid or firm, because the air is compressing..the trick is getting all of the air out.. and then clamping off the fluid line so that you can build up a pedal in the clutch.. i really dont know how else to explain.. get all the air out of the system and then .. press down on the clutch pedal.. then use a clamp on the hose to hold all of the fluid in the slave cylinder. .. let out very slowly on the clutch.. doing so should cause the clutch master cylinder to fill up properly with brake dot4 fluid or whatever your using.. do this a few times and if done properly, you should have good clutch feel and actuation..