General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake help needed

I couldn't find anything in search like my problem but I had my right front brake lock up on me today so to get it rotating again I opened up the bleeder and it had a hard squirt of brake fluid come out but then I couldn't get anymore brake fluid to come out. So I drove home with the parking brake as now I have crazy brakes lol. I took off all 4 wheels and tires to bleed all 4 and the first one bled just fine but the second and third brakes wouldn't bleed at all. Then the 4th bled just fine as well. So I have my left rear brake and my right front brake that I am not getting any pressure to. What would cause this on complete opposing sides of the car? It seams weird to me cause if one circuit on the master cylinder goes out it is normally the front or the back. So any ideas? Thanks.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

most audi's have cross circuit brake systems. and i'd bet yours does too. they do it RF LR/ LF/RR so that if one circuit goes out the two brakes you have left will be opisite each other to avoid pulling to left or right while braking. but your right most car manufactures do it that way.

good luck with the fix

Old 12-31-2008, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

Okay that makes sence and was about the only thing that I could think of. So any idea if it would be the master cylinder that went bad and not the abs module that splits the two lines into the 4 seperate brakes right? The master cylinder must have gotten stuck with pressure in the system and now that I released the pressure its not doing anything so is it pretty much a given that I have to buy a new master cylinder or is there something else to check or is it somehow possible to fix it? Thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 06:53 PM
2nd Gear

It could very well be the abs module. i think with these cars you have to use vag-com to properly bleed the brakes so that the abs module releases the fluid. not sure though.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

A Vag-Com just to bleed the brakes? That doesn't sound right. But what do I know? haha If only this car was easier to diagnose...

Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Hello? Can anybody help? I read that you need a vag com to bleed the abs module but I don't know why I would need to do that. The Brake fluid level hasn't dropped below even the minimum mark.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

some systems do need a factory scanner to properly bleed your brakes. wheather yours does or not youll have to find out. call a dealer and ask the service manager or writer

a master blown primary seal in your master cylender could definatlly cause your problem. and you would see any leaking fluid eather.

but you should really check the bleeding procedures. but if it bleeds like normal cars then id put money on the master.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Okay I called the audi dealer and they said that they do need to hook up a computer to it to bleed it. And that he hasn't seen a failed master cylinder on one of these in 2 years. Hmm I wonder what it is that caused all this though? If I get them electronically bled will I have one stuck brake again? lol

Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

have to wait and see i guess. you should start with the bleeding first anyway. always work from the bottom up in terms of price if you dont know whats wrong.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

Now I just have to wait to get a vag com. Dang. Haha I wish I knew someone around here that had one so I wouldn't have to wait.