General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake squeek

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake squeek

Ok, so I picked up my B5 2.8Q about 2 weeks ago and I've had some scraping sounds coming out of what I can only assume are the brakes and I have no clue what it might be. It's a metal on metal scraping sound, definitely sounds like it's a scrap w/something rotating, but the wierd part is that it only squeeks when I'm not touching the brakes, and even then it's not always there. It's there perhaps 60% of the time, and it goes away once there's sufficient pressure on the brakes. If I break REALLY lightly (meaning the car not really slowing much), I can hear the sound slowly fading but once I apply enough pressure for the car to start slowing the sound goes away. As soon as I let go it comes right back 80% of the time. Can anyone offer any guidance? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Old 05-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Brake squeek

sounds like rotors. you DID have them check the brakes beforre you dropped your loot dintcha? I'd say either rotors, or a unevenly worn pad, which usually comes from a warped rotor. Does teh pedal, like, throb (get yer minds outta tha gutter!!!) when you hold teh brakes gently? Take ot back to whomever you bought it from and tell 'em I SAID... Just kidding.

Old pads, or, warped rotor. Can you tell which wheel it's from? Get yer face down rilly, rilly close and see if you can get a glimpse of the pad material. Compare it with the amount of pad material on the other three wheels...

Unless, of course, it's all new components. In which case, disregard everything I just said, and take it back to teh stealer

Old 05-20-2006, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

Hmm, I'm not sure how old the rotors are but the pads look pretty much like they're brand new or close to brand new (like a good cm of pad there) to me and there's no warpage on the rotors. I've not slammed on the brakes all that hard yet or anything but I've yet to feel ANY pulsation from the rotors. I'm wondering if there's maybe a clip or something that would make contact and is prone to a little movement here and there. I cant really tell which wheel it's coming from either. I'm totally scratching my head on this one..

Old 05-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Senior Administrator

You, or someone else, will hafta pull each wheel off and check to make sure that none of the pads have slipped. I actually had this happen and, after about 3 months of living with teh noise, it turned out that the rubbing pad had ground it's way through teh rotor hat (the part with the holes in it, for the wheel studs to fit through) and separated it from teh rotor proper. Fixed it myself, but, still, was w/o a ride for a couple days...

Other than that...???????

Old 05-20-2006, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Hmm, the rubbing pad meaning the pad itself? I'm not too sure what the rubbing pad is. So the rotor seperated from the rotor hat (which the way I have it pictured in my head makes the brakes in that corner of the car useless) and you had to get a new rotor (I assume)? Thanks for the help man, I have no clue where it's coming from.