General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can a dealer deny warranty repairs because of VAG-COM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Default Can a dealer deny warranty repairs because of VAG-COM?

I had a service appt with my CPO A4 because of a CEL. The CEL went out, but I got a VAG-COM anyway because I plan on keeping this one for awhile and I like knowing what's going on. I did an Autoscan for all DTCs and got back some misfire data: three codes from when the car was returned from lease, and one from last week when the CEL went on.

The most recent misfire happened only once, and I attributed that to either condensation, or a bit of bad gas. The previous misfires had a higher incident count, but could very possibly be from sitting in the dealer lot for too long. I did not reset the codes.

Anyway, when I mentioned this at the dealer service area, the service manager seemed to get a bit of an attitude about it. He specifically said, "please keep the VAG-COM away from the vehicle the next time you get a CEL". Personally, I think that he's just upset that he's lost a bit of control over one of "his" vehicles. However, I want to CMA and check to see if anyone has ever been denied a warranty claim because of using/owning a VAG-COM.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gordon Freeman Jr; 01-07-2010 at 10:47 AM.