General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car lacks power

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Default car lacks power

Hi, I'm new here and just bought a 1993 audi 90S V6. it needed a waterpump when i got it so i did the water pump, timing belt and all that other fun stuff all at once. now i have 2 problems i can't seem to get fixed. the first is it seems like i keep building air up in the cooling system. when i bled the system one of the bleeders broke when i opened it up by windshield. broke still closed tho, so i didn't replace it. i've driven it for a few weeks now and it never really gets hot (on the gauge) but when i shut the car down you can hear the coolant (or air) cycling thru the system. i did notice there is a crack in the expansion tank and it will leak out slowly, i'm not sure if this would affect it since it's sopposed to be a closed system. Also now once i drive for a while and the car gets to temp. i was doing like 60 the other day when the car decided to dpwnshift for me and pop up to like 6500rpm.. lots of fun then wouldn't shift gears.. after about 2 minutes of driving still slower it upshifted again and all was well. however once the car gets warm while driving i'm fine but if i stop the car doesn't want to go again it has NO power. today i got onto the highway and it topped out at 100 and didn't wanna pull at all more. i'm wondering if i have a problem with the tranny. theres no oil in the coolant so i don't believe the head gasket is gone. Thanks for any help you can give me.