General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Starting Nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Default Car Starting Nightmare...

For the past month I've been having some issues starting my 96' A4. It has progressed and now it takes 5-10 minutes to get the car started. I have replaced the ignition switch about six months ago as I was having a problem with getting the key in the ignition. Here's the problem that started about a month ago:

When turning the key to the ON position, only the radio would come on. None of the dashboard lights would come on. It also sounded like the fuel pump wasn't coming on either, preventing me from starting the car. Eventually after turning the key back and forth, the dashboard lights would come on and the car would start.

The new issue started about a week ago. Now, after the dashboard lights come on and I attempt to start the car I hear a "buzzing" sound and the car will not turn over. The starter doesn't operate, just a "buzzing" sound while the key is turned to the START position. It's a real struggle to start the car, I have to turn the key back and forth at least a dozen times before I get lucky and it starts. Could this be the ignition switch acting up again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Car Starting Nightmare...

The ignition switch is two parts. Theres a mechanical part and an electrical part. The two can be replaced seperately. Sounds like the electrical part has gone out on you. Or maybe it just came loose. Its posible they didnt connect it properly when they replaced the mechanical part.