General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CEL trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Default CEL trouble

My CEL came on a bit ago, i had codes read on it, it shot out running to rich on bank one and to lean on bank one, i ordered and replaced the O2 sensor, could it be the MAF, it also, starts very hard when its cold, it will start, then die a couple times until warm, i thought it may be the coolant temp sensor but would that throw a CEL? its got 56k on it so i know its almost due for the timming belt tune up. also, i blew a shock/strut on the driverside, and since then my camber has been off, the tire is almost leanning in, we adjusted it, i went to texas for the weekend and came back and noticed it was leaning back in? it may just be all the weight from the shock not preforming the way its supposed to with all the weight pretty much weighing down on the coil. but my main concern is the CEL. can anyone help. its a 2001 A4 1.8t Quattro

Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: CEL trouble

to start with, something other than your shock is bad. a suspension component is broken. a strut/ shock absorber holds NO weight. the coil holds all the weight in that corner of the car. the shock absorber/ strut, only reduces occilations after a bump, it has no load bearing function. you should look more carfullyat the other suspension components.
as for your sensor issue, i would see if that O2 fixed it. if it doesnt come back your good. the MAF could cause that problem, you can look to see if the hot wire is while like it should be, or if its dirty. if dirty, sray with carb clean, or MAF cleaner.. same stuff.. but be sure the sensor has had at least an hour to cool before spraying or you will be buying another one. the coolant temp sensor could set a code, but not a lean/ rich code.. i would not suspect that to be the problem..

Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: CEL trouble

Usally alean and rich fault is the maf. Shouldnt cause hard starting thou. That is usually caused by a bad coolant temp senor. It can throw a fault but doesnt always throw a fault when its bad.

As for the suspesion, you shouldnt be able to visable see the tire leaning in. There is definatlty something wrong with the suspension somewhere.