General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'check engine' with code: PO411?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear
Default 'check engine' with code: PO411?

Hi. I'm trying to identify a part so I can replace it.
My check engine light came on yesterday. I was near an AutoZone, so I stopped and asked them to run it. He got the code: PO411. (He said he'd never seen this before.)
Here's what the read out states: "The PCM has determined that the flow detected in the secondary air injection system is incorrect for the current engine operating conditions."
"Probable Causes:
1. Circuit relay defective or fuse open
2. Check connector and wiring
3. AIR pump defective or hoses blocked."

Another guy came out and looked at my engine and showed me a hose that he said I could replace easily, however they don't carry the part. I've tried looking online for pics, with no luck.
He was able to squish the hose and said it shouldn't do that at all.

This is a 2001 A4 1.8T. I've got just under 70k miles on it.

The hose he squished was toward the back of the engine, on the top and looked like it had one hose going down, one coming in the side, and another (?) going toward another angle. He said only the one part needs to be changed (rather than all the hoses).

I know I'm not giving the best description, but hope somebody can help me ID the part. I know I can go to the dealer, but the last few times I've been in, they try to pull various typical "you're a girl, we need to do this" crap. (They wanted to charge me 2 times the labor to replace my timing belt and water hose...when they're right next to each other. I had this done at reliable import shop for less than half of what they wanted!)

I'd like to just go to the parts dept. and buy the hose I need without having to ask a tech to come out to my car and point to it, if at all possible.

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 'check engine' with code: PO411?

Okay, I found a pic that might help...

http://www.drwombat.com/audi/resource/18t.jpg

The hose connector thing is essentially right to the left of the words, "Oil Dipstick" at the top.

It's about 3 inches long (on the top) and has one connection coming up from the bottom, one going out to the left, and one coming straight out toward the front of the engine.

I'm sorry if I sound like a complete hack here.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

I've had the same code on my 2.8 A6. It's related to "evap emissions ", can be caused by many things. Vacuum hoses for evaporative emissions crack with age and leak causing the code. The part you pointed out I think is called the suction pump, if you replace it (about $ 30 at dealer) and have a cracked hose, you'll get the codes again. Check the whole system. Hope that helps

Old 01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, Wolf. I gave up and went to the dealer. The first guy wasn't sure what I was talking about, and tried to ID the part on his computer. I drew a picture for him, and he thought he may know, but sent a tech out with me.
It was this: http://image.aupartsdirect.com/live/B2010187545OES.JPG

The tech called it a hose connection....the guy I paid called it a vent hose.

It was just under $17 and they threw in the clamps for me. (That's rare!)

I had a hard time getting the old clamps off the hose. My dad ended up doing the work. It took some effort, but we got the new one on.

My CEL is still on. Someone told me to unhook the negative terminal on the battery for about 5minutes...BUT...I don't have my stereo code anymore.

I wonder if AutoZone can reset it.

Thanks again for your reply!

Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't disconnect the battery, try getting Vag-com to clear the codes. IF they don't come back then it's fixed. Some auto parts stores like AutoZone may clear your codes for free.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

The hose you are talking about is supposed to be stiff? I am having the same problem on my '01 1.8t. My "vent hose" is squishy as well so I am just curious if replacing the hose actually fixed your problem.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

that hose will not fix sec air low flow,could be combi valve on rear of head,hose between combi valve and sec air pump or a turbo bypass valve in intake boot rf of engine.also make sure all vacuum lines to combi valve and solenoid valve for it are intact.sometimes the rivits in the pump break and pump does not flow enough.they can be drilled out and bolted back together with small bolts.really need vag-com or vw/audi scanner to be able to run tests properly but any of the above will set of your light.