General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check engine light/spark plug possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Default Check engine light/spark plug possible problem

First off I have a 2001 A4 1.8t manual, with some light engine mods.

So today when I was driving home from school (which I was mad about) I was driving slightly faster than normal because I was mad, then about 200 feet from my house I turn the corner in 2nd gear and punch it and at around 3500 or so RPM and it just dropped and then the check engine light flashed on and it ran real slow. I have previously had a problem when the engine cut power and ran slow and shook, the problem there was ignition coil, which for the 2001 A4 there was a recall on them so it may be that again. But i took the engine cover off and looked at the plug housing and covers and found a little black box near the 4th and last plug cover that was burned to hek. I don't know what the box is for or what it does but if the simple fact that the little box burned may be a lot less of a debacle to work with than another new ignition coil. Ill attach some pics of the box and the crazy burns burns

that is the basic outline of the box and where is sits. The burned box is in the upper right hand corner.

this just shows the burn to the box

I really dont know what happened and it probably is the ignition coil again, but I am pretty worried about the burn to the box if it is maybe a timing box or something. also if there is a way to replace that box before i replace the coil and see if that works that would be nice.

Thanks for any help guys!!