General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Code reader not connecting properly

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:06 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy Code reader not connecting properly

Hello all:

I've recently bought a code reader, memoscan u600, which says that it is compatible with most audis. I've tried to connect and it runs fine (connect the cable to the obd2 port, turn ignition on) but to no avail, I always get a "Failed Connection" error. I've tried some other reading options such as the radio and abs and it seems that the reader is trying to connect but the ecu won't let it. I've brought it to a german-cars-only-shop and they seem to have no issues with troubleshooting my check engine light.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue?

Thank you
Jech

Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

I wish I would have seen your post earlier.

I bought the same POS scanner. Had I known that it was being shipped directly from China I would have canceled the order right then and there. As it is, it arrived eventually. I was all excited to use it and found out just like you than NONE of the functions work. It neither works as an OBDII scanner, nor do ANY of the Audi specific diagnostics work.

My friend's generic OBDII scanner (Innova 3130) works flawlessly for resetting codes and live engine information.

I immediately noticed that the OBDII plug on the cable that came with the U600 scanner was also junk. It's incredibly flimsy and does not at all seat on the OBDII connector on the car. Also, it is about 30 inches long and as such a real pain to use. I took a couple pictures comparing the cable of my friend's cable and this one.

The flimsy connector is from the Memoscan U600.

The top cable is from the Memoscan U600

Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Memoscan VAG 5053

I have a Memoscan VAG 5053 and it will only establish communication if the engine is running... not very helpful if you are trying to troubleshoot a "no start" condition. I would never buy a Memoscan product again.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

I wonder if Memoscan uses the same cable. I still think the cable is the reason why I can't get a connection. You don't by any chance have the cable pin configuration in any of your documentation?

Old 10-27-2013, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jechrz925
Hello all:

I've recently bought a code reader, memoscan u600, which says that it is compatible with most audis. I've tried to connect and it runs fine (connect the cable to the obd2 port, turn ignition on) but to no avail, I always get a "Failed Connection" error. I've tried some other reading options such as the radio and abs and it seems that the reader is trying to connect but the ecu won't let it. I've brought it to a german-cars-only-shop and they seem to have no issues with troubleshooting my check engine light.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this issue?

Thank you
Jech

OBD2 code readers is an improved version of OBD1 (On-Board Diagnostic1). It is an automated system which keeps on examining emission-related components and parts of your car. The system is pretty much all about vehicles self-diagnostic ability. Generally you can find this approach in all newest vehicles. The software assists in sustaining overall car engine, body, equipment and also control of the automobile. It gives numerous diagnosis techniques which force the vehicle to operate in accordance with OEM as it seize proper control over air pollution brought on by the automobile. Almost all vehicles having production calendar year above 1996, are built with this technology.

Source : OBD2 Codes, Land Rover Check Engine Codes, Trouble Codes, Diagnostic Codes - CheckEngineCode.com

Old 10-28-2013, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

Right, I know what OBD2 is (and CANBUS for that matter). The Memoscan code reader uses a proprietary pin configuration and I was wondering if anyone had that information. Maybe there is not standard as far as pin config on the code reader end goes and it's an effective way of ensuring you have to buy a new scanner when the cable goes bad. All I know is that I could not use my memoscan cable with my friend's scanner when I was trying to troubleshoot my memoscan u600 as to why nothing was working. There is still a very slight hope that I simply had a bad cable, so doing a check of pin configuration on my cable with a multimeter wouldn't do me any good. I was hoping someone with a working cable/memoscan code reader had the pin configuration info.