General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Do I need a new alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Do I need a new alternator?

1999 Audi A6 Quattro 146,000 miles

Hello,

My Battery light came on- intermittently on the speedometer panel.
The next day (no battery light), I was driving and the car started losing power...and the 'flashing' battery light came on the warning panel. I had just enough time to pull into a lot before the car died.

Here is my main concern. I know its not just a bad battery (bc of voltage tests, etc)...Advance Auto said they could do an Alternator test, but I would need to take the Alternator out of the car. The Tech proceeded to do a full test with what little battery voltage I had left (the store is about 2 miles from my home- and the car can drive about 10 miles before dying). His conclusion was that the Alternator was bad (the battery was running too low to do the entire 'test'). BUT- we did notice a smoking coming from the (passengers side) side of the engine (underneath- not clearly visible where it was coming from). My guess is that the there is faulty/fried wiring. Then- I recalled that my CEL P1338 has been on for some time now. Could this light have anything to do with the circuitry of the Generator/Alternator? Bank1.... Open Circ./Short to B+

I don't want to buy an Alternator if its a fried wire. Any suggestions on where to go with this? We have ramps to do light work under the car. But if anyone could give me an idea of where to start? Any diagrams or pictures would be great, too.

Many thanks!!