General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dome Light Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Default Dome Light Fuse

Hi all. I drive a 1996 B5 A4 Quattro 2.8L 12v.

About two weeks ago this all began. I got in my car one night and relized I couldn't see a damn thing. Where the hell did all my inrerior lights go? Everything else in the car works fine, radio, controls, power windows no problem. So I replaced the dome lights fuse a small 10amp fuse on the fuse panel and the problem went away for about a week. Then once again.. got in, who turned the lights out?

At this point I'm all out of spare fuses so I run to autozone and pick up a 5 pack of new ones. Get home put it in, POP. No lights. Take it out it blew instantly. Put another in, POP fuse is gone again. One more same thing.

Anyone had anything similar to this happen to them. The only thing I could think of that would cause this is there's a short in one of the lines leading to the light sockets. Or could a burned out bulb possibly cause the same.

Any advice would be apreciated...I'm in the dark here!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Default RE: Dome Light Fuse

Burnt out bulb wouldn't do it. It's deffinatly an electrical short to ground. First thing check the cig lighter, I remember I had a dime in mine once on my coupe quattro, it would bounce around causing the fuse for the interior lightsand cig lighter to blow. I'm not sure if they have thoes two on the same circuit anymore that was a 1990, but worth a look, otherwise your going to have to dig deeper to find the short

Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear

Also a common problem caused by pinched wires in the sun visor as well as the connector under the driver seat for the rear foot well light

Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 AM

Yup it was a short somewhere in one of the two sun visors. I pulled them both out no more short. Now my problem is where to get a new clip that holds it up because I snapped both clips (not one after the other, i'm not that dumb, one came off when i pulled my headliner to fix the sunroof). The ones on the inside. The dealer wants $30. Which is not reasonable for a peice of plastic that weighs 1 oz.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:24 AM

its a dealer part unfortunately so unless you can fabricate one or know a breakers yard then you have to bite the bullet

Old 08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

try shokan.com, they are an audi only new & used parts supplier. they are a little pricy butthey have pretty much every part.