General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Drivers Door is causing increased wind noise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM
1st Gear
Question Drivers Door is causing increased wind noise...

I've noticed this for a while, but don't know exactly what to do here. When I'm driving anywhere above 45mph, the top of my drivers side door has an increased wind noise if I don't clamp the top with my hand...I pull right at the apex of the back of the door tight to the frame and this stops it until I let go.

What can I do to make this decreased? All of the sealing around the door is fully intact and not "flattened" really. Could this be a matter of the door it self being tight on its hinges? Anybody have any ideas for this specifically?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Look at the seal at the top of the door. See how it has a channel there? I believe that's intended for water channeling.

You can quiet the car down some by going to Home Depot and getting about 13-14 feet of clear vinyl tubing (I believe what I got was 1/8") - basically, it's fishtank tubing. Test fit it in the channel - press it right into place starting at the leading edge of the channel at the front of the door. Press it in all the way to the back edge of the seal, and cut it off there. Press it into place firmly. Repeat for the other doors - you'll be surprised how much quieter the car may end up. By using the tubing, you can still channel water - it just passes through the tube - but it snugs up to the door frame more tightly and cuts down on the wind noise. Did mine a year and a half ago and haven't had one issue with it.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default door adjust

I too have the wind noise which makes me sort of nuts. I noticed that the door moved up and down when it is open. I tightened the hinge bolt on the upper hinge. The one with the little cap (6mm?). I also readjusted the strike so that the door panel is again flush with the rest of the exterior. I guess after the door has been opened and shut a few thousand times it gets a little funny. But even with adjustments I still get the noise at about 50 mph. I am going to try the tubing - thanks for the tip.
UPDATE I looked at the door and jamb area and was confused as to where you suggest adding the tubing. Is it on the actual door. Is the groove in the existing weatherstrip? Thanks.

Last edited by audi-up; 11-22-2008 at 06:34 PM.