General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ECU Communication Issue

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Default ECU Communication Issue

Hi Guys,

Really need some help!!

I have an 07 Audi A3 S line. For the past 2 months the glow plug warning light has been flashing intermittently which disables my cruise control and also affects the performance (also intermittently).

At first, local garage told me it was the brake light switch which needs to be replaced but this did not solve the problem. So I took it in to Audi and they have told me 'there is no communication between the brake light switch and ECU' and that it requires 'stripping and investigation' in order to identify the exact cause. Problem is they have told me to budget best part of £600 quid as it is not a common fault!

Has anyone heard of this problem before??

I am wondering whether it would be worth taking it to a local Auto Electrician but if its not a common problem worried about anyone other than Audi looking at this as they might make the situation worse or they could charge me and then the problem returns etc.

Cheers.

Matt.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 PM

Hi Matt,

I'm currently having a similar problem with my 2000 TT. The ECU, basically, is not communicating with the fuel system correctly. When you turn the car on the fuel system pressurizes and when you turn the key to start the ECU is supposed to talk to the fuel system and say "provide constant power to fuel system". The ECU is not doing that and needs to be replaced. A new ECU will cost me $1200 which I just can't do. HOPEFULLY, yours isn't the ECU gone bad, which is unlikely in an 07. But maybe worth looking at. I'm currently trying to locate an ECU for a 2000 non quattro TT 1.8 which I can find one for just about every model BUT mine.

Good luck, hope it helps,

Matt

Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like your having a nightmare too!! Yeah i hope it isnt the ECU but the frustrating thing is I have to spend the money for someone to investigate as its not a common fault appsrantly.

I decided to bite the bullet earlier today and have booked it back in to Audi to investigate further and hopefully resolve. They think they may need it up to 3 days as they need to strip it etc. Fingers crossed its something not too expensive! At the end of the day I kinda thought whats the point in having a performance car and not being able to enjoy it fully!

Will let you know the outcome once Audi look at it.

Good luck with your issue!!

Matt.