General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Egine wont turn off...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Egine wont turn off...help

Please help me! My car alarm went off this morning. I went to check on the car (2002 Audi A6) and noticed the keyless entry remote would not work. I looked in the window and the power was going with the radio on although the key was NOT in the car. Very confused. I sat in the car, cranked it, removed the key and sure enough the engine will not turn off. I have tried several things including disconnecting the battery, driving it then parking it again, etc (basically aimless attempts) and the engine WILL NOT turn off. Lucky me.... its sunday AND the day before memorial day meaning everything is closed so theres no one to help. PLEASE let me know if you know anything about this!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Administrator

I wonder if your ignition switch is shorting out and not killing power when you turn off the key. Issues with the switch are common and it's a $30 part, although you have to pull the airbag and steering wheel to replace it (not a big deal but unnerving to many and there are a couple precautions you should take when doing so).

Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply man. I wonder if there is a DYI guide detailing this.... I'll have to look. Anyway, just to further update the post, i took the car to the mechanic after this kept happening. (Slamming my door was the only thing that would cause the car to turn off... odd) He basically decided i was crazy. He ran all diagnostics and they came back clean and the car acted perfectly when he had it without ever messing up. Kinda annoying cuz he kept saying I must have just THOUGHT it was on when it wasn't due to the fans still rolling. I told him the engine was RUNNING and the RPM gauge showed that but he never believed me until i brought someone else to back me up haha but ANYWAY, point being that it is now acting fine so i basically spent $200 on a glorified oil change at the end of the day.