General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hard to pinpoint Audi A6 'electrical' problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Default Hard to pinpoint Audi A6 'electrical' problem!

Hello everyone,

I am tearing my hair out over one heck of a problem that I have with my Audi A6 2.6 (1994)- 110000 miles.

Up until very recently, my Audi was running like a dream. For the past two weeks it has developed a starting problem.

When I try to start the engine, it turns overbut doesn't fire. However, after a number of times, the engine nearly starts and then dies. At this point, after a few more attempts, it eventually fires and runs as it always has - it will run forever now. But, when I stop the engine, the same fault occurs. At times I think that the battery will be flat before the engine will fire. This happens in all weather conditions.

I have had it at a local garage, although, the car didn't want to act up but started for the mechanic when it was asked. Anyway, the chap changed the Crankshaft sensor hoping for a miracle fix - this didn't work!

My neighbour, who has had some experience with car mechanics, spotted that the rev counter needle doesn't flicker at the time of turning over the engine. He also tried tojump start the car downhill. But this had no effect - it's as if there is no electrical power getting anywhere. But, after the jump, he turned the ignition over, and after a few attempts it bagan the cycle of not firing, firing and dying, and finally firing up and going.

Anyone out there have some amazing fixing knowledge? I would really appreciate any help on this one as I don't have much hair left to pull out. :-(

Sincerely,
Mark (Billbags)

Old 09-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Hard to pinpoint Audi A6 'electrical' problem!

it could be a few thing and it should have stored a fault code which would be helpful,
things to consider are ignition system/fuel pressure is there a leak?/ground wires/ spark amplifier coil pack

Old 09-01-2007, 12:53 PM

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately, I am so ignorant with regard to today's cars, that I don't know how to get these fault codes.

I was hoping for some answer out of the blue - wishful thinking I suppose.
However, on another forum, someone had a very similar, but not as regular, fault. The fix there was to change both the Crankshaft Sensor and the Cam Belt sensor. However, I am reluctant to continue spending cash on 'maybe' fixes!

Mark

Old 09-01-2007, 01:34 PM

code reader are cheap on eBay and worth every penny and this problem is a typical example the code reader will save you money every time you plug it in,
with the later cars the codes are very important ( not like the good old days when you could tweak the engine ) its all computers these days

Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help that I received while trying to fix my ignition problem.

Anyway, just in case something similar happens to some other Audi A6 2.6, the cure for the ignition problem highlighted above: I fitted another CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. A new one was over £100, but I picked one up from eBay for £10. The girl is running as smooth now as she always has.
Geeze! One educated guess (not mine I hasten), one search on eBay and five minutes to replace and my A6 was sweet again.

During the 'faulty' period, I called time on the A6 and went out and bought a '98 A8 2.8 Sport - Azure Blue with Beige Leather. NICE!

Again thanks to all who tried to assist. But I do hope that my problem solved will end up helping some other person who, like me,can't afford the hair loss through faulty ignition probs! :-)

All the best,
Mark

Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 PM
1st Gear
Default ECU common fault

I had many of these Audis and most of them had electrical problems due to faulty ECU units. Commom fault also was with immobiliser. Apart from that never had other problems with Audis.

Home /