General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Has anyone ever glued torn motor mounts -2000 audi a6 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Default Has anyone ever glued torn motor mounts -2000 audi a6 4.2L

all three motor mounts are torn. I am broke. I was also wondering what are those sensors attached to the two lower mounts and what do they do? Has anyone ever used 3M window weld or polyurethane sealer to fix a torn mount on an AUDI ?????? It's just rubber.

My only concerns are the sensors and if the car will vibrate?

Last edited by Site_Administrator; 01-04-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't trust a glue job to the mounts. They may only be a rubber compound, but they're "continuous" to absorb shock and vibration. I'd be concerned that the glued seams might tear out. OEM mounts can be had online for a reasonable price - put some money aside and change them out when you can. From what I understand, it's not a terribly difficult job to do yourself.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Default I did it last night!

I took all three motor mounts off, cleaned them with degreaser real good and glued them together with black high temperature rtv silicone from walmart. I filled the little 3 inch hole in each mount and pressed the top part of the mount on like a hamburger sandwich oozing out black rtv silicone. I let them dry last night and today I set them out in the hot sun. It is night time now, It has been way more than 24 hours and I decided to test the strength by mounting them on a vice. I was pulling and twisting the mount's top side nut with a pair of vice grips with all my might. This rubber is strong! I then cut the excess silicone on the sides forming a perfect circle so I can slide the rubber covers on(protects the mounts from grease or solvents). I believe they broke when I dropped the subframe to get out the transmission. I didn't loosen the mounts top side. These mounts are about $100 each brand new( if not,more). I am broke!. I would have ordered new ones, but I can't afford it right now. I found USED ones on ebay for $90 bucks each , plus shipping! . USED!

So this will do, I will mount them tomorrow and let you know how it feels. It's just a little 4 inch peice of rubber sandwiched between two peices of aluminum caps. They tore evenly in a circle. The top side of the mount was in "male" formation and the bottom side was in "female" formation. So I just filled the cups with silicone and pressed the torn topside on. It feels super strong, but the engine will put it to the test soon!

Please, can anyone explain what are those sensors for on the side of the rubber mount? each side has one? I can't find their function in my manual. I am guessing when the mount breaks, it presses the little round metal plate in the middle(only seen when the mount is torn in half), and activates a check engine light or check mount light. I am guessing....is this logical?

Last edited by Site_Administrator; 01-04-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Default engine mounts

Sounds to me like your describing a ground strap.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Default nope, it is a plug type little connector with two wires

When I removed the mounts, I had to disconnect (unplug) a small "snap-in" connector with two prongs. It looks like a sensor on the side of the mount. I have no clue what it does officially, but would like to know.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Default today I discovered what it was

those sensors attatached to each mount is not a sensor, but an actuator. These are electro-hydraulic motor mounts. They say when it needs to, the engine computer sends an electrical current to them making them stiffer. I'd rather have them stiff all the time anyway. So, I answered my own question. Hopefully this will help someone out there that searches this. You have hydraulic motor mounts that get soft and hard on their own. What I glued was the surounding little rubber. I was wondering "how can this little 4 inch rubber hold this huge engine? The hydraulic oil is the secret. This is wh they are so expensive.