General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help... My audi is stalling and shaking violently

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 04:02 AM
Default help... My audi is stalling and shaking violently

about 2-3 weeks ago I got a 93' Audi s4 Quattro Turbo 5 speed manual. In the mornings when I start it in order to warm it up, it sometimes stalls minutes later. It dosn't seem to stall once I drive it around a little bit though. I figure this problem is just from the car being old.

The biggest problem I'm having is this violent shaking. Sometimes when I accelerate quickly or travel at high speeds. This dosn't happen to often, just every once in a while. I could be driving down the street picking up speed while sustaing a perfectly smooth ride, and within a second or so my car rapidly starts shaking side to side it feels like. When this happens I let off the gas and lightly brake and usually it goes away in a few seconds, but while it's going on it feels like I could get into a car accident it's so bad.

I'm not too sure if the stalling and the shaking are connected it some way. I don't know much about cars, but my only guess is that the violent shaking is cause by my engine not getting fuel fast enough or efficiently enough. The stalling might also be from not getting fuel efficiently. My guess is the fuel system, but that's just a random guess. I'd really appreciate any input because I'd like to get to the bottom of this incase it's sometime serious.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:01 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: help... My audi is stalling and shaking violently

Your car may just be in need of a tuneup. Whens the last time the plugs and wires were replaced?

Old 01-05-2006, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Is the motor only or the whole car shaking? If it is the whole car I would check your wheels to make sure the lug nuts are tight. I had this happen and the car would start shaking only at highway speeds and would settle back in if I slowed a bit. The stalling my be a seperate issue that a tune up could help it could be a sticking choke or an idle adjustment issue. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure how much on a 93 was computer controlled and how much is manual.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:02 PM
1st Gear

Check main hose under air breather going to the throttle body...they usually get oil soaked and rot, fall apart and tear from the stress from stop and go, one day BANG one great big vacuum leak !

Check there first.

Crashnburn

Old 06-21-2006, 07:04 PM

yep ^^^^^