General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! My car stopped running!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
2nd Gear
Question Help! My car stopped running!

I recently purchased a 1997 Audi 1.8T for $800 because it was running poorly with smoke coming out the exhaust. I determined the turbo was bad and purchased a used turbo. I installed the turbo and the car started right up and seemed to run well, with smoke coming out the exhaust, but I was hoping the remaining amount of oil would be burnt off. I ran the car for about 5 minutes then turned it off to check a trouble code. The code was for a bad coolant temperature sensor which was previously there. Then I try to start the car up, and it just wont start. It cranks just fine, its getting fuel and spark, the timing is good, the compression is between 118-128 for all four cylinders. I cant figure out what is wrong, Please Help. Thank you.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

UPDATE:
So I left the car alone for the rest of the day and the next morning I attempted to start the car and it struggled a little bit, but started up. I turned it off after 45 seconds or so. Then I tried to start it again and it started right up, and I took it for a test drive and it is running good. Since then its starting fine.
I dont know what the problem was, but maybe putting a different turbo on threw the computer off and it had to adjust??? Who knows, but at least it started up!!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM
4th Gear

Its the temp sensor...

Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 AM
2nd Gear

The temperature sensor is what was causing it not to start? Thats wierd.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
4th Gear

Seems so, but I had the same prob on a Ford.. it would start and run after sitting for 2 hours, but not while warm. Eventually it would just die after about 10 mins of running. Everyone said it was the MAF, dealer included. I swapped them and didnt change anything. Eventually I found there were two temp sensors; one single wire for the gauge, and one dual wire for the ECU. I swapped the dual wire one out and it started working perfectly. It seems that when these fail, they fail Low or High. If Low, the ECU thinks its -40F all the time which will allow the car to start cold but not run when it warms up. If High, its the other way around - the car is hard starting, but runs good warm.

Not saying that this is the prob for sure, but since you already have a code for it...?

Old 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear

Cool, I love to hear new information from other peoples experiences. Diagnosing is the hardest part in automotive repair.
I purchased a new temperature sensor for the car, but I cant find where it goes. I have found a four wire fan switch sensor that is in the rear of the engine, this coolant temp sensor is a two wire, but cant find where this darn coolant temperature sensor. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Help My car stopped running

Hi, Im trying to login on a shard running POL096
with their client and since there was no "signature" i ran ilPatcher for it to build.
It did but doesnt find Decrypt 1 key, and login fails - stalls at verifying.
Also using option: same as client . doesnt work but the client alone logins.

it returns:
Code: