General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intake Manifold Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Intake Manifold Help

Ok, so I was installing a boost gauge and running the hose from the gauge to the barb on the front of the intake manifold. It had a hose which runs down to a black box shaped thing under the manifold. (maybe something for fuel pressure???) Anyway I was taking the one time use clamp off (and all I could remeber washow much of a PITA they werewhen I had to install my dv), so I put some serious torque on the clamp....ending with the brass barb shearing off the manifold. The dealership says they are pressed in at the factory in Germany, so I ordered a new one. Is there anyway I can rig my car so it runs? Right now they are sayig atleast a month before the part come from Germany!!! I need my car... any help would be great..including anyone who wantsto sell a 2005 1.8t intak manifold.

Thanks

Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Intake Manifold Help

could you supply a picture of the pieces broken...?

Old 04-13-2008, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

yeah, sorry I didn't think to take pictures right after it happened. So you'll see epoxy holding it in place.. I thought I'd try that before I took the think off the engine and to a machine shop. Anyway it's the brass barb in the pictures (follow the link.)

http://www.uvm.edu/~amiller3/Audi/

Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

nice repair job.. that didnt work? haha, no just joking. looks like its just a vacuum hook up. you could plug the hole, and use some other plastic tee's to share another vacuum source. just be sure its coming from the same section of the manifold. differnt sections will have differnt vacuum. if you plan on making the repair properly when that peice comes in. be sure not to plug off the hole permenantly.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: KevinV10

just be sure its coming from the same section of the manifold. differnt sections will have differnt vacuum.
yeah thats what I waswondering about.. There is nothing else around the front fo the manifold. I didn't want to toff something that would end up causing more problems. I talked to some mechanics and they said it was for the fuel pressure, so f***ing with that seems like ti could be sketchy.. Do you know which line would be acceptable to tap into?

Oh and I realize how bootleg it was to try and epoxy it back on, but I thought I'd atleast try it.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

they do sell nipples with threading on them, so you could drill out the old piece, then tap it and install the new nipple. but im not sure where you can get the part, i know a local auto shop like Murry's can order them. and dont forget to take the intake mani off cause of the netal shards that will fall inside.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: milehighpilot

they do sell nipples with threading on them, so you could drill out the old piece, then tap it and install the new nipple. but im not sure where you can get the part, i know a local auto shop like Murry's can order them. and dont forget to take the intake mani off cause of the netal shards that will fall inside.
+1. I would take the thing apart and to a machine shop if you don't have the tools to thread a new part in. A good machine shop might even find the right part for you, or at least point you in the right direction.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I will look into that... wanted to avoid taking the manifold off, but looks like I gotta. Thanks to everyone who has povided suggestions