General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key fob problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Key fob problem

I bought a 2001 audi a4 1.8t from a used dealer and they did not have the OEM key fob they just gave me an aftermarket replacement key (NOT A FOB) saying the previous owner destroyed the original FOB and told me it would probably be cheaper to buy one online and program it myself rather than going though the dealer. Basically i want to know where to buy key FOBS and how to program them to my car.

thanks!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor

This being the first reply to your post, is going to be the more expensive way to get your key. But I'd like to point out some things you might not know. To get a ball park price on the key, you should call your dealer. If they have a key machine and blank keys sometimes you can get them to cut one for you right there while you wait. Providing the key you have works well in ALL the locks on your car.

The other issue is if your car has immobilizer anti theft system on it or not. If it doesn't then you can use your one key in the igntion and program the new one from outside the car. There are procedures on this forum for how to do that. If you have the immobilizer system then you will need to either have your dealer program the key to the car or maybe an independant shop or somebody with a vagcom can do it for you.

Keep in mind if you get an ebay key, some dealers won't program the key since it often results in a bad cut due to the metal the key blade is made of. It chatters in the vise blocks on the machine and doesn't cut correctly.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
This being the first reply to your post, is going to be the more expensive way to get your key. But I'd like to point out some things you might not know. To get a ball park price on the key, you should call your dealer. If they have a key machine and blank keys sometimes you can get them to cut one for you right there while you wait. Providing the key you have works well in ALL the locks on your car.

The other issue is if your car has immobilizer anti theft system on it or not. If it doesn't then you can use your one key in the igntion and program the new one from outside the car. There are procedures on this forum for how to do that. If you have the immobilizer system then you will need to either have your dealer program the key to the car or maybe an independant shop or somebody with a vagcom can do it for you.

Keep in mind if you get an ebay key, some dealers won't program the key since it often results in a bad cut due to the metal the key blade is made of. It chatters in the vise blocks on the machine and doesn't cut correctly.
i actually have the cut key from the origional FOB, just the blade though, would i be able to just order a new one and attatch the new blade there and program it that way?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Yes you can do that.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Yes you can do that.
any place i could locate the FCC id? since i dont have the original FOB i dont have a fcc id to look up a new fob... called my dealer they dont have it either

Old 08-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

For your 01 A4 the remote transmitter portion of that flip out key is 4D0-837-231-P-01C for 69.44 dollars, it would be correct and shouldn't be a need to check fcc #'s on it. Although it might have to be programmed for immobilizer plus being able to lock and unlock the doors. The other half of the key has a plastic housing on it with the metal cut key portion in place with a small split pin holding it in place. Then you snap the 2 halves together to make one remote key. If what you have is just the metal cut portion then you'd need the plastic housing to complete the key. If you don't have that we sell them for 31.74 but it is not cut, there is a metal uncut key blank attached to it. You could swap out that one for your cut one. Then again you could do that with any key of the correct style, should your friends have an old key they don't need any longer for example.