General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Manual roof issues.............................

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Default Manual roof issues.............................

hello all, just bought a 1998 1.8 20v cabbie with mint bodywork and a mere 84k on the clock for £500 but the roof's being a pain, for a 'manual' roof there's a fair bit of electrickery going on!
So here's where I am with it, ignition on, handbrake on, turn the T bar at the front and lift it up, no issues there. Lift the rear up and it locks as it should so you can get the deck lid up.
Press the black button on the drivers door jam and the decklid pops as it should, but heres where it all goes wrong.
The decklid will not lock back down again? There appears to be a motor in each latch which should return to a 'home' position to allow the latch to lcok but it doesn't. If I push the motors to their home position by hand the decklid locks down BUT if you then lock the car when you unlock it again the decklid latches release again???
Now, I've rewired the boot looms with trailer cable so its not that, the ECU behind the rear seat can be heard to click on then off to release the catches followed by another relay type click on, a pause, then off which I'm assuming is the signal to reset the motors to their home position but they don't move.
Anyone any idea's?