General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My last Audi - Q7 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM
1st Gear
Default My last Audi - Q7 Issues

I am new to this form, hello from Portland...

As the title states, this will be my last Audi. I own a 2007 Q7 with 100,000 miles on it and to date is has been a ok vehicle. I have learned to live with the squeaking sunroof and the lack of heat and air that went out but the latest issues have put me over the top.

3 weeks ago, on a road trip, the Q7 went into limp mode, I was able to get it to a VW dealership since there was no Audi one around. After a few hundred dollars they diagnosed the issues as two misfire codes P0300 and P0302, a mass air flow signal code P0101 and a camshaft to crankshaft correlation code P0016. Their recommendation was to replace the timing chains, oil pump, timing case and adjusters. Estimate $6000.

After having the car towed back to my mechanic in Portland we got started on the issues by replacing the timing chains, guides and tensioners and inspected the cam follower, rollers and cam lobe to make sure everything was in order. This did not fix the problem, we had new issues and started to get fuel pressure problems which lead us to replace the fuel pump, the bank 2 switch. After all that, the car is still in limp mode and we now had a P0087 code. At this time we decided to take it to an Audi Dealership.

Upon inspection of the car they replaced the Fuel rail which eliminated the P0087 code, this helped a bit but they want to replace the Fuel Pump AGAIN, another $600.

My biggest frustration is that I am trying to get the Audi dealership to give my mechanic a phone call so that he can walk them through everything that was done to the car before it was brought to them. I am already into this for close to $5000.

Am I crazy, wouldn't you think communication would help the process...the response I am getting is that the Tech usually doesn't call other mechanic's...WTF.

As you might understand, this process of fixing the car is a bit frustrating and expensive.

Thoughts or ideas?

Andrew - Portland