General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mysterious Electical Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Mysterious Electical Shutdown

Hello Everyone,

It's the weekend and I just got my Audi 90, 2.3 liter (Year 91) out of the shop and they tell me that there is no reason why my entire Electrical System shutsdown on me.
I have been stuck in the Autobahns of Germany with the same problems since last year when my Alternator was replaced.
I have a year old Battery, replaced Air Conditioner system, Lights, Radio, Defroster, Spark plugs, Distribuator cap, etc., etc.
Still the same problems persist.
I drive for a few miles and my entire electrical system shutsdown. I try to start the Engine but nothing happens. The battery warning ligh is always flickering telling me there is something wrong with the Battery as well as the Temperature light warning system.
I am sick that from the Electronic company of Bosch, Audi dealer, Local repair garage and Street emergency company say that there is nothing wrong with my car.
Sometimes I have it running for a few miles and arrive to my destination...I turn the Engine off and TRY to restart the Engine again and nothing.

Can anyone have an idea what is going on with my electrical system?

Thank you,
Mikko

Old 09-16-2005, 08:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Mysterious Electical Shutdown

A friend of mine had a similar problem with an older BMW. A local mechanic identified it as a faulty ground, found it, fixed it and the problem went away.