General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help deciding what to do!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Default Need help deciding what to do!!!

So last week some ******* on his phone blew a stop sign and hit me. Now, I live in michigan, which is a no fault state, and I did not have full coverage. I have plpd so I know my insurance would, at best, take my car and give me 500 dollars for it. Its a 98 audi a4. now, my question is assuming I buy new doors for the car, can a body shop fix the pillar? Here is the damage.valspics093.jpg?t=1257029303

Old 10-31-2009, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

Even though its a no fault state, his insurance should pick up the tab for the car.. 'No Fault' usually limits the amount you can sue for for pain and suffering, not physical damage...
When it comes to physical damage to your car or its contents, unlike compensation for bodily injury claims, insurance claims are still based on fault. Those claims are handled in the same way as those in a state with a fault law: by filing a lawsuit against the bad driver or looking to your own collision insurance.
http://accident-law.freeadvice.com/a...-accidents.htm

You should still be able to file a claim and get it fixed.. If what they offer you isnt enough, your insurance should pick up the rest and then you file a lawsuit (with your insurance) to recover the difference.

If not, then move outta Michigan..

Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Thank you so much for that site. I will be going to my insurance company tomorrow (give me luck). So if worst case happens and I am left with a damaged Audi, does anyone know how much they think a body shop will charge for fixing that pillar, again assuming they can. I really do appreciate your response mate, its just that even the cop told me, quote "then your screwed" when I told him what kind of insurance I had. This whole mess has got me feeling sick.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 AM

So my insurance company said to me that I am going to recieve 500 dollars, and thats it. Is there somthing they are not telling me. For some reason it feels like they are just being lazy, and dont want to go through the hassle for me, but I could be wrong. Its either that or that web site is incorrect, and the "no fault" does apply to physical damage to the car. I am getting such a headache and becoming very frustrated. Why should I have to pay for the damage cause 100% by the other person. If anyone knows the no-fault policies please help me to understand.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

The problem is they are different with each State.. Which is why I said if its that way in Michigan, move

A quick call to a lawyer will answer the questions.. most wont charge you for a 20 min phone call.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:43 AM

K, Thank you so much for answering me. I have just been getting so frustrated. + rep

Old 11-04-2009, 03:08 AM
4th Gear

Found this:

Michigan's "No Fault" statute was designed to limit litigation, by shifting the risk of certain losses from automobile accidents to the owner of the vehicle. For example, beyond Michigan's "mini-tort" law, you are responsible to insure your own vehicle and its contents against damage in an accident. If you choose not to insure your vehicle for collision damage, even if you are 100% innocent of blame in an accident, if the other driver is properly insured your ability to recover from the other driver for property damage is limited to a few hundred dollars under the mini-tort statute, MCL 600.3135(3)(e). (This is why the statute is called a "No Fault" statute – you are responsible for certain costs regardless of who is at fault.)
http://www.a2lawyer.com/articles/inj...ird_party.html

Michigan kinda sux...