General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Audi owner, noise, tires, general questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM
1st Gear
Default New Audi owner, noise, tires, general questions.

Hey,

Just got my first Audi tonight, 2000 A4 1.8T , feels pretty good, I only test drove it in the rain so i didn't really get to inspect the car or anything like that. I noticed a light knocking when the car is in park or when idling at a stop. The car has 81,000 miles on it. Is this somewhat of a normal noise? Dealer or no dealer for service? and any tire recommendations? Sticker says it came with 16" 205/55 performance tires. Main concern is the noise and who to take it to if it sounds like a problem.

Thanks

David

Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: New Audi owner, noise, tires, general questions.

Hi Dave,

I don't think a knocking noise, light, or otherwise, is a feature of any non-diesel auto, yours included. You might be headed for trouble. I don't suppose you were/are able to query teh previous owner as to if/when the timing belt was last replaced (along with other, associated services)? If not, you might want to make that yor VERY NEXT PORIORITY! Not to alarm you, but, if that belt goes you're gonna needa new motor...

As far as tires, I'm biased towards Falkens, IF you can find them. If you can then you'll find, I think, teh best ultra-high performance All-season radials on teh market, dollar-for-dollar. Only to caveats: 1st, You'll prolly find that running them 4-6-8 pounds (depending on personal preference) above Audi recommended pressure will yeald teh best feel, and reduce what some say is squirrely-feeling handling. Once you've got them dialed in I'd compare them favorably, or better than any tire you can find at ANY price, in UHPAS. 2nd, make SURE you rotate them, regularly, every 5-7k miles, for maximul life/usage, but that holds true with ANY tire.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

The dealer is using cheap octane gas. Fill it up with premuim and the noise should go away.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

So the noise sounds like it is coming from below the engine more towards the front end. I have no clue about the audi design so looking at it last night was something new to me. All maitenance was done at dealer and then a local chain of shops in stl louis. would a timing belt be normal maintenance in the first 80,000 miles, I think I got a good deal on the car so if i can fix this for under 1K i will feel pretty good. Should i take it to a dealer or a local shop? i want to take care of the car since it seems like it is pretty nice ride. thanks for the help

David

Old 09-27-2006, 02:30 PM
2nd Gear

Timing belt if it has not been done, should be. I have the same size tires on my A6 avant, Dunlop SP Sport A2. The are a HP all season tire. They have been through winter once and had no trouble getting around.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

So just called the audi dealer, they said they will inspect it and do all their fun stuff for 163$ and tell me that the car has a bunch of problems. They said the timing belt is 1600$ and they replace the water pump and something else while they are in there and recommend that at 90,000 miles. Should I take it to a normal shop? dealer? should i let audi guys inspect the whole car?

Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Senior Administrator

Check your area for a reputable NON-STEALERSHIP shop that services German cars, or Audi specifically. You shoule be able to get the t/b, w/p, AND associated services done for LESS THAN HALF what the Stealer wants. At least, that's how it is here in teh Metro Dc area, and I seriuosly doubt if the cost of servicing a car is higher in STL than it is around DC...

As for teh timing belt, DO IT NOW, don't wait. Audi recommends 90k miles; teh various Audi forums (unbeliveably, there are OTHERS <gasp> besides this FINE site, though I'm not sure why ANYbody would want to look elsewhere) I've visited recommend somewhere between 70-90, and you're certainly in that range.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:39 AM

I picked up some cheap tires from discount tires just recently.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Seconded on the independent German shop. The dealers will take you for everything and then some. An indie shop can do the job much less expensively. Make sure the entire service is done (t-belt, tensioner, water pump are the most important parts, but there are others - go to www.ecstuning.com and order a t-belt kit, which includes everything you need, and hand it to the shop to do the work). If you're mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself, but as a first-time Audi owner, you may want to check your area and see if any experienced Audi guys are around (likely from this forum) who would be willing to give you a hand in exchange for beer and pizza (that's how it works around here anyhow). I haven't done my t-belt on the Audi yet but this spring I will be doing so, but from the reading I've done, it's not a terribly difficult job, although it is time-consuming.