General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Audi user novice - lot of issues to address

Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM
1st Gear
Default New Audi user novice - lot of issues to address

Hi,

I recently bought an old Audi A6 2000 model and later found that it has lot of issues.
1. Front passanger side rear upper control arm is shaking (a bit loose) whereas the front control arm is good. Firestone says to replace it asap as it's dangerous. they say that I should replace both of them. Queries:
a. should I replace both or just the rear upper control arm
b. How dangerous is it? can i drive or shall I stop driving and get it fixed first?

2. Front passanger side Axle has leakage. Firestone says to replace it asap. Queries:
a. Do I need to replace it? any other option?

3. Front passanger side brake is bad. asked to replace the front brakes and rotors. Firestone says that it could last another 2K miles. Queries
a. How long can I wait before changing front brakes?

4. Rear axle has leakage. Firestone saya to replace the seal kits and oil needs to be changed. Queries:
a. how bad is this? can I wait to get it fixed?

5. Front passanger side window is stuck in closed position. switch does not work. queries:
a. What could be the problem and how to fix it

6. Check engine light is on. it's probably the code P0441. Queries:
a.what could be wrong? how much it will cost to fix this

7. ABS check light comes on around 50% of time with brakes light flashing.
a. Why this could be happening
b. any suggestions to fix this.

I know this is a hopeless case with so many issues but would appreciate any help/suggestions on this. Any way I can save money on these repairs? Mechanic inside me is nowhere to be found. never done any repairs myself in my life.

Many Thanks,
Neeraj

Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Any inputs from experts here would be of great help.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

Here's feedback from an owner of a used 2000 A6 2.7T.
As your a newbee to the site, you shouold read some of the sticky's posted at the top of the A6 forum, & get started using the search options. Lots of info out there but need to know but need to take time to search for it.

If your car has not been maintained well by previous owner(s), you will be in for lots of costly repairs. Less so if you learn to turn a wrench, but ability, tools, & time come into play, & parts for our cars aren't cheap anyway. My son & I do most of our own work.
I'll quickly comment on each of your questions as best I can.

1. Upper control arm wear/loosening is common. Upper rear CA is easier to remove than the the upper front (since the front has a bolt clearance problem). Having just completed CA & shocks replacement for uppers & lowers, both sides, I know. If your on a tight budget, then changing only the rear CA is OK if they say front still good. Otherwise, I'd recommend changing both front & rear uppers, and both PS & DS to boot, since they are likely going bad too. Dangerous?? I guess they can be if it's gotten so loose it pulls out or breaks, BUT I've never heard of that happening. I think it's more that loose CAs can lead to sloppy steering, & premature tire wear, which means more $$.
2. PS axle leakage? Is it grease from a torn CV boot, which could mean they clean & replace the boot or the entire axle, if CV bearing has gotten dirt in it for long. Other possiblity is a leaking seal @ inner CV tothe transfer case. The seal itself is approx $5-10, but labor to pull the driveshaft much more. But if they are doing PS CA's, then it's just more work on that side. If it's torn CV boot, that should be fixed. Leaky driveshaft seal, live with it, unless it's leaking badly. Problem is you can't check the transaxle fluid with a dip-stick, so you don't know if fluid is getting too low.
3. If doing brakes, then both sides are done at same time. Your car should have low pad sensor that will light up brake indicator on the dash. Preferr to do them before they wear so much that they scratch the rotors. You should hear that if it's happeneing. Expect that they will say that not only do you need brakes, but you need new rotors too, since although they can be resurfaced (machined flat), they do wear & warp with usage.
4. Rear axle leakage. Live with it if minor.
5. Passenger window stuck. For ours, a plastic piece for the regulator that guides the window up/down had cracked & window cocked in the guide so it wouldn't move. Could be motor, but this piece is known to break over time.
6. Check engine light. I'm @ work so I can't check the code.
7. ABS. Could be multiple problems, but a common problem is the electronic modue for the ABS gets a broken wire inside it. You can drive & stop w/o ABS, you just don't get the ABS pulsation braking feature, which is what it;s for. There are places that rebuild the module.

My bottom line is that if you are planning on keeping the car, expect to have numerous repair items to keep it on the road. A big one that wasn't mentioned is when was the timing belt changed. This is a costly repair, but one that should not be overlooked. If you know prior owner, try to find out if there were any service records to help know if you need to plan for that. Good luck & welcome to the AudiForum.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Cruby. these pieces of info are lot helpful. I got both the control arms (front and rear) replaced for front passanger side including the Axle. it costed me around $450 for this much since I didn't went to Firestone or Any Audi dealer but got it done at a private workshop.

Front rotors also needs to be relaced with breaks but my mechanic says that I can wait for another 5 - 6 months to do that. rear axle likage he says is minor and I can live with it.

check engine light he says is emission and nothing is showing up in computer. he says that it's needs to be replaced (can be done later) and is only available with dealer. I really didn't understood this part. if anybody can explain what it means then it will be lot helpful.

Will worry about ABS some time later, as advised.

so next I will get the brakes done sometime in next 6 months.

Thanks,
Neeraj