General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ok... Im stuck.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:04 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation ok... Im stuck.

Hi all. Im Steve. New to the site & new to Audi. I have read damn near every thread here & have gained a TON from it, but I have a problem I cant seem to solve. I bought this car kinda going in blind. A kid bought it, hit a deer & sold it to me, all within about a months time. Damage was FAIRLY minimal. Replaced the hood, core support, fan blade & clutch (electric fan survived). Also going to do the timing belt, water pump & tensioners while im in there (although none of them are original) . My problem is that it seems to idle fine, but once I get above 1200-1500 rpm, the car bogs down & sometimes dies, whether in neutral, or driving. I already replaced the fuel filter & plugs. I can hear the fuel pump relay clicking. I do not yet have a boost gauge (First thing on my list once I get it running) and troubleshooting has been a pain. The Ignition control module has continuity from the center pin on 5 side, to all four on opposite. The DV seems to have SOME suction, but not enough to hold the diaphragm open when doing the "finger in plunger" test. My next thought is that (I think) I hear vacuum around where the fuel pressure regulator is, but cant seem to find any leaks. I plan on going all new on all the vacuum lines & components, as well as pcv stuff, but im just curious if you guys have any other thoughts. Thanks! Oh, & on a side note, he said it HAD thrown a code for an O2 sensor, but he couldn't recall which one. Could this cause such an issue? the CEL IS on, but i have the whole front end of the car off & no way to check the codes. I know. I suck. lol P.S. Its a 98 a4 Quattro 1.8T with 160k.

Last edited by deerdamage98a4; 10-27-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:47 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Issue resolved... Feel kinda dumb. The tone ring for the cam position sensor was flopping in the wind. Lined it up & tightened it down & its running & not throwing any codes.