General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

persisten power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM
1st Gear
Question persisten power steering issue

hey guys,

2003 a4 b6 1.8t quattro

last winter i was doing some snow drifing, revving high at full lock, and burned out my power steering pump (at least i thought that was the issue, now it seems there is more to the story.) I lost pressure in my steering completely, driving was difficult, parking and moving slowly especially hard. I made the assumption after asking around that the pump was burned out, so i swapped it for a replacement pump. unfortunately, with my new pump, though some pressure was restored and i wasnt manually cranking the wheel anymore, it was still very different than the original, pre-snow drifting setup.

symptoms:

i could feel every bump on the road through the wheel, as to where before, i couldnt.

steering wasnt as responsive, felt less "video gamey," felt more like a normal american car than my once pristine-feeling a4. before it had always felt like i was turning on rails, now felt like the car wasnt stable as i was turning, especially at high speeds.

after dealing with the issue for a while i posted on the forum and was advised to burp the system, so i went through all the processes for that, put it on the lift, lock to lock, down lock to lock, followed all the instructions, even replaced the pump AGAIN (thinking i'd gotten a faulty one,) completely bled the system and replenished it with fresh VW factory power steering fluid.

so here i am, with a wonky steering system, wondering what's next? rack? some other suspension related item?

any and all information, experiences and suggestions are appreciated. thank you all in advance for your help!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

no one, any ideas? rack?