General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering pump noise on 3.0 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Power Steering pump noise on 3.0 quattro

Ok, I've read all of the posts about this issue that seems to come up in cold weather. I checked the reservoir level and it it is already the top of the word "max" on the stick, as recommended. No visual sign of leaks around the ps pump connections, although there is some sludge. After running the car for a while, I checked the reservoir and it was definitely foamy. Should I just replace the clamp to the pump and give it a go? Add additional fluid or replace it? It was brown, not sure what color it should be.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Power steering pump noise

Originally Posted by Bobby C
Ok, I've read all of the posts about this issue that seems to come up in cold weather. I checked the reservoir level and it it is already the top of the word "max" on the stick, as recommended. No visual sign of leaks around the ps pump connections, although there is some sludge. After running the car for a while, I checked the reservoir and it was definitely foamy. Should I just replace the clamp to the pump and give it a go? Add additional fluid or replace it? It was brown, not sure what color it should be.
Sorry, excuse my manners. My name is Bobby C and I am so happy to find a resource like this for new Audi owners like me. The 3.0 Quattro with the ps pump noise is my daughters 2005 a4 convertible with @ 60k miles that we just bought. Nice condition with a solid maintenance history. 55k service was done by prior owner. Hoping for a cheap fix on this one, as some of the threads I have read suggested. I also have a 2004 TT that has been really nice so far. Thx for help!

Old 11-04-2015, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah. I recommend replacing the hose clamps. The crimp on jobs from the factory will loosen up over time causing leaks. If it leaks, it can also suck air. Air gets mixed into the fluid making it foamy and the pump will whine a little.