General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

problem after getting chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
1st Gear
Default problem after getting chip

I'm a little confused on this one guys. I have searched the forums but have came across so many possible answers.... My problem is this-

I just got an APR chip last Friday and I am experiencing accletation problems now in the higher gears. The car will start to jerk, and not accelerate at all. This tends to happen in 5th gear usually above or nearly 3000....I don't think it has ever happened in fourth. It is fine in the bottom 3 gears though. I can take the car to redline and have power all the way through, in each gear (loving the chip).

So from reading the posts on this forum, it seems like it could be the DV, which I doubt because I have a fairly new Forge 006. Or it could be a boost leak, but I can't really tell that since I don't have a boost gauge (I am putting one in this weekend though). I have also heard spark plugs...but I find it strange that it could be that since I didn't have this problem before I got the chip. To be fair, I was not driving like a jerk so much either. Or maybe it is the transmision or even turbo going out....as you can see, I have no clear idea.

I always drive the car using the tiptronic andnever had an issue before I got the chip. One the way home from the shop that installed the chip, I had no issues whatsoever. I trieddriving in D and there was no problem???? Very weird. I would expect it to be in both ways.Car is a 98 1.8tq, engine code AEB. I am not getting any CELS either.

Any hints, or has this happened to anybody else?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: problem after getting chip

Are you getting a check engine light? My car was doing this in all gears above 3K rpm and it was the #4 coil pack.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Administrator
Default RE: problem after getting chip

Did you gap down the plugs? When you chip the car and increase the boost, with an off-the-shelf chip tune, you need to regap your plugs to .028" so the spark can jump the gap - at the wider stock setting the plugs don't work right. Regap your existing plugs (or properly gap a new set) and install them, and see if you still have the same problem.