General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replaced the Headlight Switch and now the car stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Default Replaced the Headlight Switch and now the car stalls out

Hey all, I'm looking for some help.

I recently had someone replace the headlight switch in my 99 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. (The headlights weren't working, obviously.)

So great, now the headlights work. And my cruise control even works now, after going without it for about a year. But once I'm on the highway, when exiting and coming to a complete stop, the car shuts off. My motorist boyfriend told me it's called stalling out. But anywho... can anyone help with this. Is there a way to maybe reset the computer or do I have to take it to an Audi Dealership?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Administrator

They likely disconnected the battery when the work was done since the airbag had to come out. That'll allow the computer to go into reset/relearn mode and it needs a little time to unscramble its brain and learn to control the car again. But the throttle position sensor may be out of whack and that can be reset easily. Unhook the battery for an hour or two, then hook it back up and turn the key on but don't start the car. If the hood is open, you'll hear a gum from the engine - that's the TPS resetting itself. Once it stops, go ahead and drive. Once the computer relearns again you should be fine.