General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

S3 DSG Problems, down shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:55 PM
1st Gear
Default S3 DSG Problems, down shifting

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing issues when downshifting their S3 in manual mode. My 2016 S3 will up shift perfectly fine. When down shifting with no throttle I have frequent problems and massive delays mostly with second gear.

If I drive 50 MPH and brake to about 20 for a turn, with no throttle, and click down three gears, the tack will go to 0 RPMs when engaged in second gear, my foot will be pressing the gas pedal down, and the transmission will be disengaged for 2 seconds or more. After 2 or 3 seconds it will finally figure out it should be in second and will go. This happens quite frequently and I have had the dealer replicate several times, now they want me to ride with a tech a 3rd time to replicate.....a third time. I have no idea why they need excessive replications. My 2013 s4 dsg was great, no issues. There is also no throttle blipping on downshifts when not under load.

Has anyone had these issues? Does it take anyone else several seconds to have the dsg engage a gear? The issues feels very wrong when driving, and is not indicative of the experience i would expect from an audi. The dealer seems to be giving me a large run around as well.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:25 AM
1st Gear

I just registered to figure this one out myself.

Happening to my 16 TTS.

You have any mods?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

No mods, this is my daily driver. Have you taken yours into the dealer so they can check it out? How often does this happen to your TTS. I drive a lot, I have over 8000k since I bought this in May, and it happens 3-8 times per day.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

I haven't had the dealer check it out. I think I've noticed it more with the JB1 piggyback. This happens at least 2-3 times a day.

Attempting to accelerate out of a corner after braking...
Slowing down in traffic and then flooring it...

Trying to self diagnose first. Going to try S mode vs manual shifting more to pinpoint it to a certain behavior and see if I can avoid it.

I have about 5k miles since May including one track event. During that event when I took off traction control, I had some sort of drivetrain issue after a lap or so. Pulled off the track and restarted the vehicle. All lights reset, and I just left trac on after that.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Took my Audi in to get winter wheels and tires put on and addressed the transmission down shifting issue. The service agent said he could replicate the issue every time. He said he thinks it may be engineered that way. He said the car throws no codes, and he does get a long pause when downshifting from 4th to 2nd at 20mph. I think think the car doesnt know whether to go into 1 ro 2 gear and I think the car wants to choose 1st but knows its in manual. He said I need to pursue callilng audi USA. I have no mods on my car, sounds like you have some mods and I have also not put mine on a track. Just frustrating to drive, I know it isnt working properly. Any progress on yours?