General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Seafoam Treatment!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Default Seafoam Treatment!

Hello all, Can anyone explain to me the seafoam procedure? I would like to get some of that nasty stuff out of my engine, but I am not gonna jump into something I am not 100 percent knowledgeable about first.

Another Question:
The closest Audi dealer to me is about 3 hours away. People say OEM Audi oil filters are the best, but since I am that far from a dealer where can I get one? Or do they have a substitute at an auto parts store? We have a checkers, autozone, and a NAPA.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Site Moderator

What engine do you have?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Site Moderator

Also which procedure do you want to know? You can seafoam the oil, intake, and fuel system.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 PM
2nd Gear

Well i'm curious about them all, mind doing all three? (i have a a6 2.8 - it might be a head start for larrypxlast)

Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by nm3210
Well i'm curious about them all, mind doing all three? (i have a a6 2.8 - it might be a head start for larrypxlast)
Well for the 2.8L it goes like this.

Oil: Pour a half can of seafoam into the crankcase (oil fill) and either let the engine run for an hour or lighty drive it around for no more than 50 miles. Change the oil and filter and thats it.

Gas: Simply pour the full can into your gas tank with approx. a half tank of gas and run it until its almost empty before filling it back up.

Intake: This is the tricky one. You have to find a good vacuum line, prefereably manifold vacuum. Take the line off and make sure it has suction when the engine is running, a good line would be the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line. Find an adapter or make yourself a little funnel so you can get the seafoam into the line. Once you have it all jerry rigged up, move your car into a well ventilated area because this will cause all kinds of toxic smoke from the exhaust that you don't want to breath in, and trust me there will be a butt load of smoke! Slowly pour the seafoam into the vacuum line with the engine running until the can is empty, hook the vacuum line back up and take it for a drive to get all the crud out of the intake. Once it stops smoking you're done.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79
Also which procedure do you want to know? You can seafoam the oil, intake, and fuel system.
doh! Sorry I have a 1.8T.

Also, can you point me in the right direction in terms of the correct oil filter?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Site Moderator

The procedure for the 1.8T is exactly the same as the 2.8L, except your gonna use that vacuum line that goes right to the intake manifold, should be staring right at you when you open the hood.

As for oil filters, you want to stick with german made ones because they have the correct size filtration rate and a bypass valve built in in case of any blockage were to occur in the filter. Mann, Mahle, that you can get in bulk from www.ecstuning.com are some of the best.
If you have to use something close by, go with the NAPA gold filter, they are high quality. Stay away from any other brands, most of all FRAM!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79
The procedure for the 1.8T is exactly the same as the 2.8L, except your gonna use that vacuum line that goes right to the intake manifold, should be staring right at you when you open the hood.

As for oil filters, you want to stick with german made ones because they have the correct size filtration rate and a bypass valve built in in case of any blockage were to occur in the filter. Mann, Mahle, that you can get in bulk from www.ecstuning.com are some of the best.
If you have to use something close by, go with the NAPA gold filter, they are high quality. Stay away from any other brands, most of all FRAM!
sweet after this oil change ill switch over to Mann or Mahle? Is it just personal preference, when it comes to large or standard sized filters or what is the rule of thumb when it comes to size?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Site Moderator

The larger filters came out to aid with oil sludge, so i would always go with the large frame filter.