General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Soft top trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Soft top trouble

Hi there, I have a 2007 A4 convertible which has been giving me trouble. The summary.

1) I tried to open the soft top while rolling slowly but halfway through I accidentally went over the 20mph limit and the car beeped and soft top stopped opening. I had to stop. Power off and power on again to open it.

2) Since then, whenever the soft top is closed, I still get the message on the dash "Soft top not secure" and the beep goes off until I go over 20mph when it stops, though the unsecure light keeps flashing above 20mph, the beeping stops.

3) I took it to an Audi garage after a few months and they took a look and told me that the hood sensor needed replacing but it was too expensive so I said not to bother just now. It also struck me as odd that the sensor needed replacing when no damage had occurred, it was only from incorrect operation that the error started.

4) Since getting it back after their investigation, not only does the problem keep occurring, but now the beep and "Soft top not secure" alarm goes off whenever I go over a small bump at any speed. When this happens, the cars heating also changes to different settings for no reason. Like I will have it on 22c, level 4 blast, then I will go over a bump, the beep will happen with the message and the heating will change to 27c, level 9 blast, and next bump it might go back to the previous setting.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening? And if I wanted to replace the hood sensors, is this a job I can do myself and if so can anyone please point me to a youtube video or instructions on how to do so?

Thanks very much!
James

Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

It could possibly be your sensor but I have heard that some people just tape the senors down so your car 'thinks' the top is closed. Not sure if that makes sense or if it really works but it's worth the try to save a few dollars in this steadily declining times

Old 03-28-2013, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

Sounds a good plan to me!

Do you have any idea where the sensors are or what I'm looking for?