General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sticking gearbox, clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Arrow Sticking gearbox, clutch problem

Hey there,
I was hoping that hopefully someone might be able to help me with a problem I've been experiencing with my Audi - maybe someone's had a similar problem?
My car is a 1999 Audi A4 1.8 with 5 speed manual gearbox and front wheel drive - it has done 65,000 miles and has a full Audi history.
The car drives fine locally on shorter trips and the clutch and gearbox are great, but I've found when the car is running and normal temperature and has been driven on a long journey (at high speeds for long periods) the gearbox becomes very stiff and it's hard to get the car in and out of any gear. Getting it out of fifth is a struggle and then engaging any other gear is difficult. The clutch seems to fade a bit and seems to slip, as high revs are needed when setting off and it only seems to bite at the last few mm. of the clutch pedal
I've had a mechanic take a look at the car and test drive it, and he said that as far as he can see the car doesn't need a new clutch - which is what I thought the problem may have been. Obviously it would be difficult for a mechanic to experience the problem firsthand without having to take a long test drive at high speeds
Has anyone experienced this or got any ideas on what it may be? Thank you