General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tiptronic - Clutch or Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Tiptronic - Clutch or Torque Converter

Hey guys, I've been searching like crazy, and been told both. Does the Tiptronic gearbox have a wet-type clutch pack, or a torque converter. I test drove the A4 and I liked it, but I notice it didnt feel as connected aS the newVW GTI with DSG. Thaughts on the tiptronic gearbox? Should I just get a manual...If I do buy the audi - down the road, I would probably chip it, exhaust, and springs/shocks to lower it a smidge. Not really planning on racing it, maybe the ocasional autocross (blue moon). Thanks guys, I've had two differant audi dealers tell me differant things, and I've searched on the site, why cant I just get the engineering specs for this damn thing.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tiptronic - Clutch or Torque Converter

Ouch, it does have a torque converter, game over on that. Man, thats crap! I really wanted the A4. Any idea on if the new new 09 Audi is gonna have?

I guess im being a little harsh. I still really like the A4. Just wish it had a sequention manual automagic DSG or I would have even taken the multitronic or a a tiptronic. Theres always the manual.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:36 PM
4th Gear

Im pretty sure the B7's have the DSG. i remember the audi driving experience were every car i drove minus the Q7 and the R8had flappy pedals and when i flipped it it actually changed gears without hesitating.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Don't get me excited. The tiptronic gearbox also can have the flappy paddles, and it did seem to shift quick. The audi website says the a4's can have the tiptronic, thats all. Idk, I would buy an a4 on the stop with a 2.0 tfsi and dsg. I think in 2005 I read about them trying to work the dsg into a gearbox option for the a4 because at the time, the dsg could only be used in engines that where mounted transversly. Anyone have any more input? Who is like an a4 transmission guru who could explain to me the drivetrain on the "automatic" A4.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah the DSG transmission can only be equipped on the A3or TT it has to be transverse, and you can feel the difference between the two, the DSG takes a second for the clutches to grab then takes off like a bullet.
The tiptronic transmissions are definetely better than they were before, but if you want to do some aggresive driving go for the manual transmission.
A tiptronic transmission is basically the same as a regular automatic trans except you can have manual control over the gears to a certain limit.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks man, I really like that dsg. I will admit I like the newer jetta GLI, my one problem with it is it is front wheel drive, and well, I think the gli is made in mexico now. Any iddea if the newer late 08'09 (B8's) will have the dsg option?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Site Moderator

The A3 and TT DSG is quattro, it just uses a haldex clutch set up which means it full front wheel drive until the wheels start to slip then the rear wheels gets pulsed hundreds of times a second making it four wheel drive. Much faster than the VW.