General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

trans oil level

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 07:48 AM
brk
Default trans oil level

This may sound like a stupid question but I have just done a service on an a3 for a relative of mine and I couldnt find the dipstick for the automatic transmisson,Can some one tell me how I am to check the oil level.Thanks in advance BTW its an A3 1.8t

Old 10-16-2005, 03:36 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: trans oil level

Audi Transmissions are sealed units.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the ZF automatics are "sealed" units, and VW and Audi dealers love to say this to avoid having to do any work on them, but anyone with access to a lift or even a set of four jackstands can check the fluid level. Doing so entails removing an access plug (not the drain plug!) and attempting to add fluid with a small hook-shaped nozzle, until fluid just drips over the edge of the internal dam. This has to be done with the engine running (if I recall correctly) and the transmission warmed up. By the time someone goes through all of this, it is not much more work to change the fluid, which is evidently NOT lifetime, contrary to ZF's and ESSO's claims.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:20 PM
6th Gear

Yep I have the pdf instructions if anyone cares to view it. PM me...

Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 PM
3rd Gear

Part of the procedure for checking fluid level in the trans includes using a scan tool to check it at a certain temperature. The reason most shops dont want to take apart the trans is because there is no support from zf to do it. No manual is avaiable to disassemble the trans and special tools are also unavailable.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

Part of the procedure for checking fluid level in the trans includes using a scan tool to check it at a certain temperature.
True, although some claim to be able to estimate it closely enough.

The reason most shops dont want to take apart the trans is because there is no support from zf to do it. No manual is avaiable to disassemble the trans and special tools are also unavailable.
That is scary! Do you know of any specialty shops which rebuild these things? I did at least locate a reputable local transmission shop which will do a pan drop and fluid and filter change for a bit under $300. I'll take it to them if I don't get up the nerve to DIY.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

All of our failed trannys went to zf as part of a core. Zf does the rebuilding. The oil change itself is a piece of cake. Im not sure about the filter thou.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:52 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: dankhound

... The oil change itself is a piece of cake. Im not sure about the filter thou.
Do you simply pull the drain plug and later add new fluid, without dropping and cleaning the pan? Some folks over on PassatWorld have advocated alternating fluid-only changes with full pan drops.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:56 AM
3rd Gear

Do you simply pull the drain plug and later add new fluid, without dropping and cleaning the pan? Some folks over on PassatWorld have advocated alternating fluid-only changes with full pan drops.
Thats exactly what we do. And audi only recomends this on the cvt trans. The rest they say to leave alone, but when a customer asks for new trany fluid were happy to oblidge.

Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

In the 1996 owner's manual, Audi recommends changing ATF at around 50k miles / 80k km for the A6, but not for the A4. Don't they use the same ZF 5-speed automatic box? Anyway, mine is getting a full pan drop service today, at 66k miles / 106k km and 9 years, because I doubt the first owner ever changed the fluid. After this, I plan to set up a schedule for regular fluid-only (partial) changes, such as every 15k miles / 25k km. Feedback? Suggestions?