General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Rebuild? 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 04:41 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Transmission Rebuild? 2003 Audi A4 1.8T

Hi All,

I'm new here... just frustrated with a current problem. My audi (which I love and have had since new) is currently having a problem in automatic shifting in the lower gears... it bucks and jerks a bit around 2nd to 3rd or even right from stop 1st to 2nd. It only happens after traveling more than about 10 miles and doesn't happen every day although now becoming more frequent. It works perfectly so far in tiptronic, but I live in CA and in traffic it can be exhausting to use tiptronic.
I took the car to the dealer and one other mechanic...no one can figure out the problem, but the dealer says the transmission is done. 187K miles on the 2003 AUDI A4 1.8T. I had the TCM replaced about 5 years ago because gears were sticking but it was happening in tiptronic and automatic, now the problem is only in automatic?
The dealer quoted $7800 for a new transmission and another mechanic $4500 for a rebuilt. Is this normal? It seems really high to me and to tell the truth, as a girl, I feel like I'm always being a bit screwed over. I don't have the money to fix right now... but any advice or suggestions or comments would be so greatly appreciated!!! A friend told me to buy a tranny from somewhere for $500-$800 and try to find cheap labor but that sounded sketchy to me... but if that's done and safe and I can get my car fixed for less, I'm in! I live in South OC, CA if anyone knows someone that can do this for less?
Also, just not too sure the car needs a new transmission, but at those miles I guess so... I just can't understand why the car doesn't have any of the same problems in tiptronic if it were the transmission.... confused?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

Have you ever had the fluid and filter changed in it?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

HI DAVE944!

Yes, at the dealership with the $7800 new transmission quote I had them do a transmission fluid "exchange", I don't see a filter on the invoice.... 6 of G-0520180--A2 ATF OIL, done on June 9, 2016... and they told me this could make the problem worse, they weren't sure because they couldn't find any slippage/bucking on the test drive and I have no error codes.

Thanks for your reply Dave!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear

I'd just drive it and see if it gets any better with the fluid change. The filter should have also been changed as just changing the filter is just stupid. IF it gets any worse, THEN start looking for a possible swap or rebuild. The swap will be much cheaper. Get a used transmission with the same type code though.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

It's actually slipping more since the fluid change in automatic... I'm pretty much full time in tiptronic now. No filter change and I don't know enough to ask so I'll call up the dealer for that one... I wish they knew to do that- they're supposed to be the experts!

Could you tell me what a swap is? and where do i go to swap? I'm so sorry, I know very little about transmissions. And where do I find the code? Would the dealer have it or?

does the price of $4500 for a rebuild sound right? I got that quote at a transmission service shop.

Thank you so much for your time!!!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:52 AM
2nd Gear

A swap is finding another used transmission from another A4. Because of the TCU and all this computerized crap on these things anymore, you'd be best served to find one that is the same Transmission Code (it's listed on the options sticker located in the trunk spare tire well along with all the other options the car was built with). Swapping the used transmission with yours. Cost-wise it would be cheaper. However, $4500 isn't too bad for a rebuild IF it came with a good warranty. Plus rebuilding it would eliminate any other issues and problems that might arise with swapping with a used unit.

However, since it's only slipping in full automatic mode, this leads me to believe it's a valve-body issue. The transmission shop could rebuild the valve-body without removing the transmission saving a ton on labor. The valve-body fits to the bottom of the transmission in the pan and is easily removed. Keep the slipping to a minimum to save those clutch packs (to replace those you have to remove the transmission completely). Talk to the transmission shop about having them check the valve-body. This part of the transmission contains all the shift solenoids and valves that route fluid through various passages to activate each gear's clutch packs. Basically a big hydraulic switch.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Wow. Great info! Thank you! My car (2003 Audi A4 1.8T) does not have clutch packs, should I still ask to get the valve body replaced? I hope so because that would be amazing!!! and yes, only happening in automatic and all computer updates are updated.

Thanks again for all your wealth of knowledge... you're awesome!!!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear

It does have clutch packs. THat's how automatics work. But check on that valvebody rebuild.