General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Removal Due to major leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
2nd Gear
Default Transmission Removal Due to major leak

I purchased a 2001 A4 1.8T with automatic w/tip-tronic transmission and 90,000 miles. I bought it for $1000 under the impression that it needed a new/rebuilt trans. After investigating more once I got it home, it only had a huge transmission fluid leak. Once I filled it full of fluid (which isnt easy to do), the transmission work flawlessly. So I have removed the trans. to replace the torque conveter seal. Once I had it removed, I found that the torque converter was difficult to remove, but I did get it out of the trans. Upon inspection I found that there was some sort of a bearing that was stuck to the torque converter. I was able to pry it off and there is not much damage to the torque converter, I will have to do a little sanding with some emery paper. Check out my pictures. What I dont understand is what happened? Did this bearing fail causing damage to the seal? If so, how did the bearing fail? Any techs with experience let me know, Thanks.

Name:  audi032.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  15.1 KBName:  audi033.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  15.5 KBName:  audi034.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  18.3 KB
Name:  audi035.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  20.8 KBName:  audi030.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  14.2 KBName:  audi031.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  16.4 KB

Last edited by Prizmatik; 03-13-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Site Moderator

Thats interesting, haven't seen that before. I believe its a bearing for the pump and the torque conveter seal sits on it to seal the fluid, but i have never changed it out before. It should be easy to order at the dealer. When at the parts department will give you a picture on ETKA and you just have to point out the bearing, just grab a new torque converter seal and you should be good to go.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear

UPDATE: I have done a lot of research and I believe I found what caused the problem. At one point the transmission must have been low on fluid, therefore caused the torque converter bushing (the piece that had been stuck to the torque converter) to wear and spin in the pump. That caused the torque converter seal to begin to leak, and caused a much bigger leak in result. So what do I have to do to repair it now?? I will tell you. I will need to purchase an oversized pump bushing, have the pump machined to fit and purchase a new torque converter seal and I should be good to go. If anyone can correct me on anything, please go ahead. I spent many hours researching and locating parts. I will keep this thread updated.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

I've been there done that. By the time you've removed the front pump you already have the valve body and differential completely off. Why? The 6 tubes for the valve body to pump. At this point you'll need a new torque converter and new front pump. But being ran low on fluid the clutches/bands are worn to a point that you should replace them while you're there. You should be able to get a complete overhaul for ~1000 seeing as the tranny's already removed. Throwing a front pump will not fix your problem for long (if at all) and the torque converter should not be sanded as the damage is done and it'll leak. Transmissions are on car-parts.com for about 1grand also, but I'd prefer a rebuilt.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

Thats not what I wanted to hear, although I do want to hear the truth from experienced people. I have read your thread on this forum and the Renntech.org forum. I just dont have $1000 to put into the car at this time, and I need to put it back together because its in the way of my (money making) projects. I planned to do as I said in my previous post including sanding the torque converter. I have a very reputable machine shop I deal with that I will be getting more insight from in the near future. Before I removed the trans, I did refill with fluid and ran the car for about 30-40 miles without any problems, until the fluid had drained enough to cause slipping. I am motivated by this, and am very hopeful that the transmission will be in good working order once I fix the bushing and seal. But, I am not experienced with transmissions too much. All information is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

Prizmatik
sorry for the late reply.
not sure where you are at this point with your problem.
I have MY2003 Porsche Boxster same problem 4 months after I purschase, I think due to my habit of driving on manual instead of alternating between D and M modes, and I use the manual mode Religiously, and use it for brake assist as well.
I am going thru this again after I fixed the problem the first time, the only thing this time it was leaking but not as bad as the first time ready my thread on renntech.org
look at this post http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...opic=24836&hl=
the culprit was the torque converter weld was not a tight seal so that by it selt leaked
in a very small amout thru the weld upto a point where it started leaking bad. So I have to take tranny off, I took the T/C to the same place that remanufactuered the first time I explained what had happened and they remanufactuered again for free , so you don't have to get a new T/C (goes around $1200 or so) remanufactuered ones go for $400 or remanfactuer the one you have for (what I paid) $330,
as far as the front pump you can try http://jie.com/ (very helpful guys)
or try http://www.omegamachine.com/ they have the bushing for $20 but the bushing have to be remachined after installing it in the pump.
as far as the clutch bands I would not worry about that ( at least not in my case )
my tranny still leaks because I was cheap, and in a hurry to put everything back together the 2nd time, so I have to take everything out again.

btw what do you mean by sanding the T/C?

not sure if you know that the fluid by itself is very expensive ( I know you don't want to hear it but these are the facts) around $20/liter from vw dealer or if you want to go with the alternative thats upto you check these website ( BMW )

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/229437
or
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166135

at this point figure out what you need to do. let me know if anything else I can
help you with.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the help and tips. I am actually in the process of installing a used transmission. I purchased a local parts car that still had the transmission all for $650. I found the car on Craigslist. I was afraid that I would have the same problem that you described, leak problems after reinstalling, so I searched and searched and found this parts car. I ultimately got a great deal. The car had just under 105,000 miless on it. It was already well parted out, but I have almost made all my money back on other parts I sold from the car, and I still have a lot of parts left. So, I found a great deal, and my transmission is going to be free once I sell a few more parts I appreciate your help flyboy007. Check out the picture I have when I bought the parts car, and a picture once i was done stripping the car. Thanks again for your help.
Name:  audi003-3.jpg
Views: 1832
Size:  61.9 KBName:  audi003-4.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  57.8 KB

Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the help and tips. I am actually in the process of installing a used transmission. I purchased a local parts car that still had the transmission all for $650. I found the car on Craigslist. I was afraid that I would have the same problem that you described, leak problems after reinstalling, so I searched and searched and found this parts car. I ultimately got a great deal. The car had just under 105,000 miless on it. It was already well parted out, but I have almost made all my money back on other parts I sold from the car, and I still have a lot of parts left. So, I found a great deal, and my transmission is going to be free once I sell a few more parts I appreciate your help flyboy007. Check out the picture I have when I bought the parts car, and a picture once I was done stripping the car. Thanks again for your help.
Name:  audi003-4.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  57.8 KB

Old 12-11-2011, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

I just purchased a 1998 1.8t A4 with the same problem. I wish I would have solved this problem on the first A4 I had with this issue!!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

The modern automatic transmission is by far, the most complicated ... worse shows what to look for to prevent a minor problem from becoming major. ... We try to use simple, generic explanations where possible to describe these systems but, due to ... to keep the oil where it is supposed to be and prevent it from leaking out. ...