General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wipers dead issue - at a loss at this time

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Wipers dead issue - at a loss at this time

Hi all,
New to the forum and figured I'd give it a shot since hitting a wall on this problem.

2003 Audi A4 1.8T Sedan. (non-Quattro)

Started out with wipers noticeably getting sluggish/slower. Then two weeks ago, just stopped after moving about a inch up. Right away jumped on a dead motor theory. Bought a motor, but before changing it, read up on the common linkage seizing up problem. Took out the linkage/motor. Noticed although not seizing up, there was a lot of friction. Took linkage apart and cleaned/lubed all pivot points. On spindle, not a lot of corrosion/rust. Rebuilt linkage arm; now seemed perfect. Replaced old motor. Reinstalled complete assembly and but no cigar.

I know I'm getting 12V to motor once ignition is on as well as a good ground. But that's how far is goes. I don't have diagrams for the remaining two connections on the motor since I'm away from home attending a military academy for lifers.

At this point, it seems electrical (specifically a switching problem.....although this started with a slow/seized wiper system). I slaved in the new motor [and the old] and connected it directly to the connector without the linkage. No rotation on either motor. Checked 30A fuse of course. Good to go. There doesn't seem to be a relay for the wiper system since it goes through the costly J519 module [I suspect].

Right now, without any diagrams I can only suspect the J519 [if indeed there is no relay]. Or maybe an open somewhere. No telling at this point. Washer pumps working btw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Lourinho

Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 AM
1st Gear

i had this issue with my 02.. turned out to be the comfort control module..

Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM
1st Gear

Comfort control module, runs 180$. check ebay, it's located under the dash on the drivers side, behind the lower steering column. near the fuse box. It sometimes gets wet and dies.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 AM
1st Gear

has the problem been resolved it seems similar to the problem I had although in my own case the fuse was always blowing out until I placed a hire amp fuse and then the wiper wire leading to the motor got burnt, trying to buy complete wiring for the wiper motor and another motor but I am having a feeling the problem may still be there and may not be a motor issues.