General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wipers Developed a Mind of Their Own

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Wipers Developed a Mind of Their Own

Hi all

New to this forum so first of all hello!

I'm looking for advice on a newly developed problem. I have a 2003 Audi A6 Avant SE 1.9 TDi. Driving on a dry day I gave the rear window a quick washer by pressing the wiper stick forwards but after washing it didn't stop wiping. Eventually it did stop but in a random position - then, when it decided to, it started up again - always on full, not intermittent.

Not happy with the new attention the rear wiper was getting, the front then decided to join in, coming on on full low speed when it wants, for as long as it wants, then off again for a rest before starting over.

When the wipers are going the only control over them is that I can switch between high speed wipe and low speed continuous but it continues on low continuous when switched to intermittent or off

Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas what may be wrong (relay or switch for example)?

Any help appreciated. The fuses have been taken out for now but it won't stay dry for long here!!

Thanks
Nezzer