General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Woah, very concerned about the health of my engine! Please Help! (B5 A4)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Woah, very concerned about the health of my engine! Please Help! (B5 A4)

Lately my engine has been giving me warnings about my oil pressure being too low; I usually dismiss the warning (as many mechanics have told me it's just an "overactive" sensor) but today I thought I'd check it out for myself.

I looked at the oil dipstick and noticed it was just a little below the "can add oil" line and went to grab some 5W-30 synthetic oil to top it off before inspecting anything else.

Once I got the cap off ready to add in the oil, what I found next shocked me in horror: it looked like somebody put peanut butter inside my crank case! I've never seen anything like this before and now I'm really worried.

I take very good care of my car and always am on schedule with routine maintenice!

Anybody have any ideas about the problem? Should it be adressed immediately? (Maybe it's just buildup on the top of my cap?) Haha

Attached Thumbnails Woah, very concerned about the health of my engine! Please Help! (B5 A4)-2013-03-26_17-01-52_198.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

As long as you don't find it on your dipstick, chances are it is just some moisture that found its way to the oil cap.

Peanut butter under oil cap - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
1st Gear

Hey I had the exact same thing happen to me about one year ago... took it to the lot I purchased it from (they claimed to be Audi Technicians) and they said it was the same thing... just an overreactive sensor and he cleared the engine codes.

Well, fast forward to today and my car is in a different shop because it began to leak oil a lot! (It also had the weird tan goo in it as well about a year ago when I first noticed it). I started by leaking about 2 quarts every 5000 miles, then 2 months ago it began to leak 1 quart every 1000 miles! That's when I took it to the old shop and they said they couldn't find anything. The shop it is in now found out that it was the oil pump. I brought it in last Thursday and they were just going to replace the pump but when they began working on it they found the cams to be very worn. There is also sludge in the engine and I got a second opinion from an Audi Performance shop and they both are saying it would be better to just put a new engine in it! Now I'm looking at 6000.00 that could have been just 800 or 1200 if the first shop had caught the fact my oil pump was bad rather than just clearing all my codes

I would definitley get it checked out and repaired now before it damages your engine (on mine it just completed wore the cams and lifters).

I have pictures posted under my post from yesterday listed "bad cam shaft and lifters" under general tech.

Hope yours is still repairable!