Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Holding revs between gears (and more q's)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Default Holding revs between gears (and more q's)

I have recently moved from a Nissan GTR to a 97 A4 1.8t 5-spd (mostly for the wife). I found all the A4s I test drove held the revs between the gears in a way I am not used to with any other turbo vehicle. Even MKIV golfs running essentially the same engine were significantly more punchy coming into boost.

I assume the A4 is designed to hold revs between gears to keep the turbo spooled. Is the turbo that antiquated that it can't handle the abuse of boost-vent-boost-vent....etc like almost all other turboed cars in the world?

Is it because the 1.8 uses a DV as opposed to a BOV? Is there a throttle body solenoid of sorts that slows throttle return? Can I remove it without harm?

What boost is considered maximum on the factory turbo and what is the likely point of failure when exceeding that?

(yea, I started searching and reading, I really did).

Old 09-27-2006, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Holding revs between gears (and more q's)

I noticed my 2004 S4 does the same thing but it is not turbo so I am wondering if anyone else has notcied this? Is this bad? Thanks

Old 09-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Default RE: Holding revs between gears (and more q's)

so whats your question
ORIGINAL: 4nick8

I have recently moved from a Nissan GTR to a 97 A4 1.8t 5-spd (mostly for the wife). I found all the A4s I test drove held the revs between the gears in a way I am not used to with any other turbo vehicle. Even MKIV golfs running essentially the same engine were significantly more punchy coming into boost.

I assume the A4 is designed to hold revs between gears to keep the turbo spooled. Is the turbo that antiquated that it can't handle the abuse of boost-vent-boost-vent....etc like almost all other turboed cars in the world?

Is it because the 1.8 uses a DV as opposed to a BOV? Is there a throttle body solenoid of sorts that slows throttle return? Can I remove it without harm?

What boost is considered maximum on the factory turbo and what is the likely point of failure when exceeding that?

(yea, I started searching and reading, I really did).

Old 12-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Default From what I've read...

...other cars, including the 07 Civic, do this as well, apparently as a way to help with emissions. I don't know really how this works to keep emissions down, but that's what I've heard. Any ideas, anyone?

Old 12-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Default RE: From what I've read...

Yes it is for emmision purposes. At one point in the 80's I think there were certain model cars that couldn't be sold with a manual trans because they couldn't control the emmisions when the throttle plate slammed shut because you took your foot off the throttle to shift.