New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying af Audi A6 2,7 Qutro

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Buying af Audi A6 2,7 Qutro

Hello.

I'm all new to audi's, and i'm considering buying a A6, 2,7 from 2001 with 140.000 miles on it.

I live in Greenland so the selection isn't very big, but i don't want to buy a money pit, so here are my concerns.

i test drove it, and the engine sounds great, shifting is smooth and it kicks like a horse when accelerating.

When i drove it i could feel a very light shacking in the steering wheel, and the faster you drove the bigger the shacke. At 80-90 mph. it was crazy. The owner claims that it's becouse of some after market rims, that are not original audi rims. It has uneven tire wear as well. He has some 1 inch spacers on it. DOn't know if it makes a difference.

I checked under the car, everything looks great, BUT in the front under the engine in both corners there seems to be oil spilling. Don't like leaks of any kind. And when i checked the oil level it was actually a little low.

I've read about the water pump that MUST be replaced after 100K miles + timing belt and so on, and the owner have no clue of if this have been replaced. He owned it since 110K miles.

Should i walk away from this, or shouldnt i be concerned of these flaws i've found? Audi's are awesome, and i fell in love with it right away, but kept my senses :-)

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards

Old 09-07-2012, 05:40 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Willkommen to the forums

If you are not willing to at least attempt to do your own maintenance and repairs, you may want to consider another vehicle. You said you are not looking for a money pit. Any vehicle with 140K miles is going to require a bit of extra care and maintenance. Parts and labor for the Audi are going to be quite a bit more than what you consider to be reasonable.

that said, be sure to spend some time reading in the A6 section. pay special attention to the stickies at the top of the page. You will find a lot of good information there. use that to help guide your decision on whether you will purchase the car, or not.

good luck

have fun