New Member Welcome Area Are you new to Audi Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly Acquired Avant - Wagon Wielding Wacko.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Newly Acquired Avant - Wagon Wielding Wacko.

Hey guys,

I just purchased a B6 A4 Avant - 1.8T Quattro. I've been a Honda man for years, was very involved in Honda forums. Now that I've an Audi, I feel it's only mandatory I get to know my fellow Audi enthusiasts.

Just Purchased:
2003 Audi A4 Avant - 1.8T Quattro - $8995.
77,541 miles.

Immediate goals -
19'' RS6 wheels
Aftermarket Double-Din Switch-out (6-disc jammed at the moment.)
20% on the windows.
Get lower trim color matched.

I'm still learning, but I LOVE my Avant!

There are a few problem with her at the moment, however:
The shifter cover strip is broken in half, so I have the PRNDS illumination issue with the tiptronic not responding. Also, I have an (as of this moment) undetermined CEL. However, I have a feeling it has to do with the Secondary Air Injection Pump - When I cold-start the car, there's a grinding sound that only lasts about 20 seconds, then subsides, only to return on the next cold-start. I did a few searches on the forums to get my footing before signing up.

There are some really solid wagons on these forum, really looking forward to getting mine up to speed.

Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  87.7 KB

Old 08-17-2012, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

I love avants! your B6 avant looks great, can't wait til you lower it a bit and add some nice wheels.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, mate. Found a fella with some OEM RS6s with 90% tread left of the tires. Wheels and tires for 775$. Gonna snag those up in a few days.

As for lowering it... I'm not sure what to do. I live in Houston. The streets I drive on are pretty rough. How low do you think I could get away with on 19'' wheels without rubbing and potentially eating through a fender on a dip in the road at 50mph.

My old civic was lowered 1.5'' on 19's, and I eventually had to go back down to 17'' just to be able to drive without rubbing on every bump in the road. Well... I cracked a rim... so that was a majority factor in the downsize as well. =)

Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Administrator

You can prevent rubbing by running smaller/stretched tires. What is the offset of the wheels you're planning on purchasing?

Also if you want to lower the car, you can also invest in some coilovers for height adjustability. Also if you're willing to spend some extra cash, there are some coilovers out there with dampening adjustability. Meaning that you can adjust the harshness of the struts to prevent bottoming out.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:00 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kriptonik
You can prevent rubbing by running smaller/stretched tires. What is the offset of the wheels you're planning on purchasing?

Also if you want to lower the car, you can also invest in some coilovers for height adjustability. Also if you're willing to spend some extra cash, there are some coilovers out there with dampening adjustability. Meaning that you can adjust the harshness of the struts to prevent bottoming out.
good advice right here!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Solid. Not sure on the rims the local guy has. I was looking at some replicas, however, and I believe that offset was an ET45. I saw a write-up a guy did, where he used a 15mm spacer in rear, and a 5mm in front, and it looks perfect with these wheels.

19" RS6 replica wheels - information and install pics. - AudiWorld Forums

This guy is a champ.