Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey everybody, come on down a read the story of my stupidity!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Hey everybody, come on down a read the story of my stupidity!

Okay. So this summer I swapped out my trashed motor with a much lower mileage one from an A6. Everything went pretty smooth. It was actually a enjoyable experience for me. Anywho, once I started driving my car regularly, I noticed a oil leak coming from a relatively large crack in the oil pan (I think it was from when I was transporting the engine from the garage I bought it from to my house). So, I drained the oil, covered the crack with some JB Weld and let it sit overnight. Filled it back up with oil the next day, no more leaks! Then I noticed a leak coming what seemed to be the drain plug at the time. So I got some fresh copper washers, that didn't fix the problem either, so I thought it was the oil pan gasket leaking. Drove the car like that for a couple months until I replaced the cam chain tensioner gaskets and valve cover gaskets to fix the burning oil smell in the car. Then I had some RTV laying around so I decided to pull the oil pan and do an RTV gasket. Did all the necessary prep work and let that dry, put oil back in and it still LEAKED!! So at this point, I assumed I screwed up the RTV application or something . Now, a couple weeks later I went ahead and bought a FELPRO oil pan gasket thinking that would stop the leak once and for all!! Put the FELPRO on and..... IT STILL FREAKING LEAKED!!! GAH! At this point I'm about to go insane. It couldn't be this hard to fix an oil pan leak! So I took a little closer look with the car running, wondering why it wouldn't stop leaking. Then I noticed that the leak was actually coming from the top of the oil pan! I thought my upper oil pan was cracked! Until I was feeling the top of the oil pan and noticed that my oil pressure sensor was loose... then I took a picture with my phone so I could see where the leak was coming from.

The moral of the story? Don't be an idiot like me and forget to tighten everything up when putting a new motor in...

Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Thanks for sharing. definitely one of those things I can see myself doing (says the guy that finished his timing belt job, had the front end 90% buttoned up and found the dipstick tube in the parts pile :facepalm

Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
Thanks for sharing. definitely one of those things I can see myself doing (says the guy that finished his timing belt job, had the front end 90% buttoned up and found the dipstick tube in the parts pile :facepalm
You're welcome! haha. It was such a relief once I found that but at the same time I wanted to smack my head into a wall.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Haha. Sounds to me like something I would do/would happen to me.

So what car did you put the engine into? Another A6?