RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

THINKING ABOUT RS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
1st Gear
Default THINKING ABOUT RS6

I'm lookin at a 2003 Rs6 and i can't find the maintence schedule anywhere, i know its serviced every 5 on the 10's but i have no idea what those services are, also i currently drive a 01 S4 completely stock and im just wondering how u guys would compare it to the s4, i know it would be fast duh but a deeper insite would be good. also what do u guys think about the 5 speed auto tip.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Default RE: THINKING ABOUT RS6

Please contact me off line - for some reason this forum will not let me reply much more than a few words.

I have a lot of info for you.

rwk@gcis.net

Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Default RE: THINKING ABOUT RS6

Audi should have all the records in their database provided the previous owner did the service at Audi. If you have found an RS6 that you like and are interested in purchasing, take the VIN to your local Audi dealer and ask about the history of the vehicle.

The service generally includes oil and filter change, a full inspection of the vehicle and resetting of the maintenance light.

35K replaces the timing belt.

I know I'm missing a few things - I'm a bit lax about paying attention to what's done. I take it in when the light says service me and let the Audi Techs do their magic. I sign the paperwork when it's done and I go on about my rat killing.

I have had a couple issues w/my RS6 (mind you, I drive the **** out of it). The right rear damper ***'y has leaked out twice. It makes a harsh thumping sound as if something's loose. I also had a power steering rack leak. Both have been covered by Audi.

Tires are good for 10 to 12K if you're aggressive. I really like the Bridgestone Potenza line on the car. Micheline's work very well, but the Potenza's seem to be a tad more forgiving right at the limit - they give you a little more notice before they say "see ya". Dunflops SUCK.

Front rotors are good for about 25K, rears still good at 37K. I changed pads on all four corners w/the front rotors.

The auto tranny is good. It's not quick, it's not like having the gear selector in your hand, but it's efficient and does it's job. I wish it was quicker on downshifting, but oh well - it SMOKES the Maseratti's shifting...

I actually prefer putting the tranny in sport mode versus trying to shift. The paddles on the steering wheel are cool, but I find that I use the stick for gear selection more often when I'm drivng agressively. I've always felt that the paddles are backwards and want to hit the upshift instead of the downshift when I play w/the paddles. It's more of a personal pref than an issue w/the car.

I can't give you a heads up comparison against an S4, as I've not been in one, but the RS is a pretty brutal (and VERY fun) sedan. The brakes are phenominal. The acceleration hits like a freight train. You can feel the turbos spool up and the car just sets you back into the seat. My R8, while quicker, doesn't have the brutal hit that the RS6 does. The RS actually feels quicker.

Handling is very impressive for a large, heavy car. It does tend to push quite badly when you get near the limit. There have been those few fun times where I've been able to kick the *** end out and get the whole car drifting through the corners (with the stability programming turned off, of course), but it's a very fine line to hit.

Go in deep, brake hard, roll into the throttle and expect the front end to start drifting. Turning the wheel into the corner more, to combat the push, just makes the front wheels bitch more and the push will continue. A quick snap off the throttle will set the rear end out a tad and then get back on the gas and you can pretty much rotate the chassis in the corner to get the desired results wanted. It's not pretty, but it's fairly effective - at least for terrorizing the street. (I desert race, so I tend to enjoy a sliding/drifting corner more than the asphault guys and their precision techniques)

Once again, as with tires and which way you control the transmission, it's a preference thing and I find these tactics more enjoyable.

Hope this helps and I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Overall, my RS has been my favorite vehicle up to three weeks ago, when the R8 joined it in the garage. It (RS6) replaced an old 928GTS and the comparison is not fair. The RS stomped the snot out of the 928 in just about every aspect. I've been through quite a few higher performance vehicles and the RS6 stood at the top of the fun list. (it's now #2)

One thing that I have always liked about the RS is that it makes a good travel car - I can put my teen aged daughters in it and cruise down the highway in "family truckster" mode, getting 24ish mpg. It's smooth, quiet and works beautifully. But, when you want to go get the endorphine rush*, it's right there under your right foot.

* endorphine rushes are what we all look for: that rush that makes us feel so good and alive. Mistakenly many refer to this as the adrenaline rush. Wrong - adrenaline is usually release just as you say "OH ****! THIS IS GOING TO HURT!"